Author Topic: Best Of Techniques for Sound in N-scale Diesels - with Index (Updated 4/7/2019)  (Read 15747 times)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
Re: Updated Techniques for Sound in N-scale Diesels
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 06:58:03 AM »
I know that having the right sound file is half the battle and I don't know if they are available, but I have recently come across a smaller sound decoder. 16.7x7.7x2.3mm. I haven't used one yet but I have used their non-sound decoders and been very impressed.
Website in German... http://www.tran.at/Produkte/SL76.shtml

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I know that having the right sound file is half the battle and I don't know if they are available, but I have recently come across a smaller sound decoder. 16.7x7.7x2.3mm. I haven't used one yet but I have used their non-sound decoders and been very impressed.
Website in German... http://www.tran.at/Produkte/SL76.shtml

What you found is made by CT Elektronik in Austria.  As far as I know, they do not have any US prototype sound files available.  Another very small sound decoder is made by Zimo, but once again no US prototype sound files are available.  The size of the SL76, however, makes clear that ESU LokSound could do a somewhat smaller "mini" version of their excellent sound decoder.   I'm still optimistic that their OEM efforts for the Atlas S-2, the Rapido GMD-1, and the new Intermountain SD40-2 will result in a smaller wired decoder that will more easily fit inside the shells of narrow-hood diesels. 

John C.

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
    • Modutrak
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
I am considering putting two fox speakers into a F40C, mainly because there is room. However, when two speakers are placed close together, their magnetic fields try to push them away from each other. Would putting them right next to each other, oriented on the long axis, [   ] [   ], have a negative affect on sound quality, or would I be better off separating them?
Rick

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1959
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 03:05:29 PM »
I am considering putting two fox speakers into a F40C, mainly because there is room. However, when two speakers are placed close together, their magnetic fields try to push them away from each other. Would putting them right next to each other, oriented on the long axis, [   ] [   ], have a negative affect on sound quality, or would I be better off separating them?
Rick

I don't think that the interaction of the outside magnetic field of the speakers will have any negative effect on the magnetic flux in the coil gap (inside) the speaker where it matters.  Just make sure to build an airtight enclosure  around them isolating the front and back of the speaker cone.  If these are 8 ohm speakers you will most likely have to wire them in series to prevent overloading the decoder's audio amplifier. Make sure to hook them up properly: hook up the positive lead  from one speaker to the negative lead. then the positive and negative leads remaining unconnected go to the output if the audio amp.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

AKNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +58