Author Topic: Wheels of time 70' baggage car problems  (Read 2673 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Wheels of time 70' baggage car problems
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
Is it just my fleet of eight cars?  All roll noisy and are extremely anoyoying, the couplers constantly uncouple and you can't shove them anywhere if you want them to stay on the rails.  As a side note the Burlington lettering is so off it is just awful.  I run about every other major passenger manufacturer and don't have these issues, just wot.  Anyone else run into this and find any fixes?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Wheels of time 70' baggage car problems
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »
I too had problems with those cars.  I find the WOT cars need some work to run OK, even more to run great.  First thing to do is replace the wheels with Fox Valley Models metal wheel sets.  Much quieter and better rolling.

Next, make sure the coupler box is pressed completely into the adjustable holes in the shank on the truck itself.  Almost all of mine were loose from the factory and made backing nearly impossible.

Also, make sure the MT copper trip pin isn't sticking up above the coupler any at all.  I also gently filed the bottom of the diaphragms down to ensure they're flush with the bottom of the car.  This prevents the coupler from hanging up on the diaphragms when turning.  This is also a problem on their Harriman cars.

For best performance and if your radius allows, body mount the couplers.

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:51:39 PM by Norway2112 »

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
I've got three.  No issues with any of them.
~ Matt

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
I've got one Atlantic Coast Line baggage car.  Its finish is well done (although the doors open in transit :facepalm:), but it rolls horribly and, like yours, is noisy.  Thankfully, I have no uncoupling issues.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mcjaco

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
^ That's my only complaint.  The doors.  I'm gluing mine closed.  Those drive me crazy. 
~ Matt

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
Its finish is well done (although the doors open in transit :facepalm:),...

The doors.  I'm gluing mine closed.  Those drive me crazy.

Gluing is definitely a way to go as far as keeping the doors closed but for me, just in case I would ever want to stage a car with the doors open I believe I would go with some sort of tape that would not be difficult to remove.  I am a million miles away from being able to stage stuff but if I am fortunate enough to be able to do so it would greatly help... express, even at smaller stations, would be a part of the operations I would want to display.

Now if we could only get WoT to do a baggage - mail to match...

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »
If you pop the roof, pieces of masking tape across the top of the false roof will keep the doors from moving.  This allows for future placement of the doors if desired.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mcjaco

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
^ Well that's the better method.  But I want to glue them so I can curse myself years down the road. 

Duh.   :P
~ Matt

Frisco Larry

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
I cut a piece of styrene, same thickness as the door, long enough to fill the door track.  Door stays closed.  If I want the door to open, just pop the roof and remove the styrene plug.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
How difficult is it to pop the roof off without damage to the car or its finish?  I have been known to use Scotch Tape to hold Micro-Trains boxcar doors closed.  Clear tape might be preferable for the baggage car, since it has windows.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:59:59 PM »
^ Well that's the better method.  But I want to glue them so I can curse myself years down the road. 

Duh.   :P

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
Easy to remove the roof.  I cut down the coupler trip pin awhile back.  What size wheels from FVM?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Easy to remove the roof.  I cut down the coupler trip pin awhile back.  What size wheels from FVM?

36" MTL length.  I don't remember the stock number ... #3601 I think.

How difficult is it to pop the roof off without damage to the car or its finish?  I have been known to use Scotch Tape to hold Micro-Trains boxcar doors closed.  Clear tape might be preferable for the baggage car, since it has windows.

The doors slide in a track in the false roof.  By applying masking tape to the top of the false roof, you hold the door in place by its top edge.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Thank you!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
I too had problems with those cars.  I find the WOT cars need some work to run OK, even more to run great.  First thing to do is replace the wheels with Fox Valley Models metal wheel sets.  Much quieter and better rolling.

Next, make sure the coupler box is pressed completely into the adjustable holes in the shank on the truck itself.  Almost all of mine were loose from the factory and made backing nearly impossible.

Also, make sure the MT copper trip pin isn't sticking up above the coupler any at all.  I also gently filed the bottom of the diaphragms down to ensure they're flush with the bottom of the car.  This prevents the coupler from hanging up on the diaphragms when turning.  This is also a problem on their Harriman cars.

Good info, obviously from experience!  ;)

For best performance and if your radius allows, body mount the couplers.

Hope it helps!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub