Author Topic: LV 570  (Read 843 times)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
LV 570
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:37:52 AM »
This the second time I have seen this paint. It does not seem to be the same as the brown and yellow scheme. The tips of the stripes are different and there is a black diamond background for the flag.

There appears to be a difference in the color above the stripe and below the stripe as if there were three colors. In the other photo I've seen (also black & white) that difference is more pronounced. Was there a tri-color paint scheme on these units at one time ore is just weathering as seen here...

If it's two color than am I correct in assuming it's Cornell red with yellow stripes?

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
Re: LV 570
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
From what I understand LV had little standard when it came to paint in the later era
I would also assume your color choice is correct
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

lv4142003

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
The top photo (B&W) shows an F unit painted while the Valley was under the control of the Pennsy, hence the Pennsy style lettering on the side and the Pennsy styled stripe. The car body is most probably painted in Pennsy Tuscan Red (Brownish looking). There is a Black Diamond behind the flag as per LV style at the time. The lower photo shows an F unit with dirt, dust and grime on the lower half of the car body. The car body is probably real Cornell Red with yellow stripes. Carl Steckler published a book with the paint schemes of EVERY LV unit, the date when they were painted, the color, and all their anomolies. It is a very good book for following the Valley paint schemes as they had a lot.

Mr Z

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
I agree the top photo is a Pennsy inspired paint scheme. Should be Tuscan Red (browner than the new Cornell Red).

I believe the nose emblem is what was used on the F's to begin with, black diamond, gray flag, smaller black diamond and white lettering for the LV.

Martin Z