Author Topic: An alternative spray paint product  (Read 2603 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
An alternative spray paint product
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
Frustrated at the dwindling supply of rattle-can paint, I've discovered an alternative some modelers might want to consider: Liquitex Spray. This is an unusual paint because it's water-based, but sprays just like traditional enamels. It comes in ~100 colors; a color chart is available here.

Although there are many benefits to this paint line, there are a few drawbacks. First, availability is limited. I found it in my local Michael's. Alternatively, it is available online through large art supply chains such as Dick Blick. It's quite expensive, between $8.50 and $12.00, depending on the source--twice as much as most enamel sprays. And the spray is not super-fine, so don't expect airbrush quality spraying; it'comparable to most rattle can sprays, so it's best suited for things like structures.

On the plus side, the paint coverage is impressive, with rich, dense pigments. The finish is nice and flat, and because it's an acrylic base, it won't dissolve itself, or be dissolved by other paints, when applied to a base coat. Also, it can be sprayed indoors because the odor is very low. Drying time is slightly longer than enamels, which offers an opportunity to try wet-on-wet effects. The tops of the cans are sprayed with the actual paint, so you know in advance exactly how it will look. Replacement nozzles are available in a range of spray patterns so you can adjust the performance--as well as easily replace clogged tips.

I've only begun to use it, so I'll have more to report after I've worked with it some more, but my initial reaction is very positive.

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: An alternative spray paint product
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »
Tamiya also still makes a full line of spray paints. I use them and they work great. http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=72#.UuwuRfldWSo

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
I use and like Tamiya sprays as well, but their range of flat spray colors is rather limited.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
I looked for these the other day at Michaels when I was paint shopping, but I really didn't look that hard. Either that or they didn't stand out to me (or they didn't have any).

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
A lot of the spray paints at Michael's are behind locked doors out West here.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
I looked for these the other day at Michaels when I was paint shopping, but I really didn't look that hard. Either that or they didn't stand out to me (or they didn't have any).

Not all Michaels carry the spray paints. I find some Michaels are pretty short on artists' supplies.

A lot of the spray paints at Michael's are behind locked doors out West here.

Blick's does the same thing.

I eye these paints every time we go there and wonder how useful they would be for MRR, but hesitate to blow $8 each on rattle cans after just upgrading my entire airbrushing toolkit. Nonetheless, I am interested in what David has to report from hands-on experience with it.

As far as value... something useful to know is how much coverage you get from a can. Versus, say, using a good airbrush with a coarse tip and quality model paints in the tiny (but expensive) bottles. It could be that the cans are cheaper in the long run for doing things like scenery. A variety of earth tones that would be harmless to foam and go on quickly may be just the ticket.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »
I was going to post about these some day.  I discovered them after I got into 1/29 and needed a way to apply a large amount of paint quickly.  This is because some of my weathering techniques required the paint to be partially dry and I could not manage this over a large area, as the paint would be too dry when I was done with the airbrush.  Also, 1/29 scale trucks take a lot of paint, and it wasn't efficient to use Polly Scale on them (from a time and cost perspective).

As David says, they can't take the place of an airbrush, but they do fill a gap between an airbrush and other rattle can brands (Krylon, Rustoleum). 

Oh, and despite being water based, there is an odor associated with them.  Not nearly as strong as rattle cans, but annoying enough that extra ventilation is required.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
Has anyone used the Vallejos?   I believe Hobby Lobby has started to carry them.

Ed

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Vallejo has a rattle can?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
Vallejo has a rattle can?

my bad... didn't read closely enough, just registered "spray enamel"...   :? :?

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »
Has anyone used the Vallejos?   I believe Hobby Lobby has started to carry them.

Ed

Vallejo Air is one of my favorites to use.  Sprays straight from the bottle and has the awesome pigmentation, coverage, and smooth finish of their regular brush line which is second-to-none for acrylics IMHO.

My only complaint is that I've found that my standard go-to acrylic airbrush cleaner (91%+ alcohol) doesn't work.  It actually seems to almost gum up the paint.  But Vallejo's own cleaner works like a charm.  Just a very slight added expense (a few bucks will buy you a large bottle of the stuff).  It also tends to go on very matte.   Not a problem for some, but I generally prefer a slightly stain surface, as washes apply over it better.  But nothing an application of a separate coat of satin, gloss, or Future doesn't fix.
-Mark

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
Wow, Michael's, who'dathought?.  :facepalm:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Wow, Michael's, who'dathought?.  :facepalm:

Hey! Don't laugh! Michaels is my local source for Bestine!

Important to note - they usually have 40% off coupons "on one item" on their website, and our last couple of times* they handed us another at the checkout. It's important because everything in the store is full list price.

* - And yes, we were caught-up in their credit card hack.  :x

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Hey! Don't laugh! Michaels is my local source for Bestine!

Important to note - they usually have 40% off coupons "on one item" on their website, and our last couple of times* they handed us another at the checkout. It's important because everything in the store is full list price.

* - And yes, we were caught-up in their credit card hack.  :x

I was shaking my head because I recommended Michael's to David earlier in another thread.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:08 AM »
Have you guys tried your small local hardware store? My ACE, NAPA and TrueValue can make their own spray paint cans tinted to their carried paint line.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1