Author Topic: Oregon Joint Line N Scale  (Read 89226 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1314
Re: Oregon Joint Line N Scale
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
For anyone interested, here's a picture of the Edward Hines Lumber Co mill in Hines.  This is what I tend to think of for a Northwestern mill, although mills like the one modeled in Emigrant weren't unheard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hines_lumber_mill,_Oregon.jpg
N Kalanaga
Be well

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2017, 02:29:39 AM »
I appreciate everyone's ideas (seriously!) and you've got me to thinking about taking things even farther.  While adding pine smells at the four forest products industries on the layout would be a great sensory addition the larger concern would be making the entire room smell faintly like sagebrush and juniper which are the predominant aromas of Eastern Oregon.  And Eastern Oregon is bone dry compared to North Texas - does adding a dehumidifier to suck the moisture out of the air during sessions seem like taking things too far!  How about adjusting the thermostat to reflect winter or summer (within reason - perhaps a range of 62 to 80)?

I should be heading out to Prineville in the next month and the agency I work for has been pulling out a lot of sage and juniper off grazing lands, so maybe I can score you a trash bag of two full. Now, how to get it to Texas...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1314
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »
If you don't need it for scent, sagebrush also makes great cottonwood trees.  You could probably sell it by the Priority Mail box-full for that!
N Kalanaga
Be well

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
+4
I spent way too much time putting together this video of the Oregon & Northeastern logging railroad.  Hopefully you'll take a glance - at least to hear my cringe-inducing singing at the beginning...

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
You need a manufacturer to crank out some Baldwins.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

coldriver

• Crew
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
You need a manufacturer to crank out some Baldwins.

Yeah, I was definitely on the list of those hoping for Atlas's new release to be AS-616's.  Not only did the Oregon & Northwestern use them, but Rayonier used them on their logging railroad in my hometown of Hoquiam, WA as well.  I imagine seeing those in N scale is a long shot. 

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
GREAT video Dean,
      It is awesome to see a layout operate like the prototype and look so good doing. those backdrops look awesome. Hope to get up there again soon to operate. I am having a "training" session next week for my club to go over the basic railroad rules and how to block cars. And on the passenger side the basic consist orders. This is about my 4 session with the tabs and I really like them, I am trying a small strip of foam back double side tape to help keep the tabs on the tank cars and smooth roof passenger cars.
                                                                                          keep up the great work. Gordon

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
Dean, very cool video....outstanding job.

That OJL intro tune is very 70's, love it.  (well, very "late 60's" I suppose...still holding out hope that you might mix in some Cascade Green in an ops session eventually.   :trollface:  )

Doug
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:22 AM »
In every way: content, production, modeling...outstanding.

SSW7771

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
Great video Dean!
Marshall

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1274
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Thanks for the nice video Dean, enjoyed that!
That gives me some ideas.

coldriver

• Crew
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
Thanks all for the kind feedback.  Originally I actually gave some thought to composing an entire Oregon Joint Line song  :facepalm: but ultimately settled on scratchbuilding all those catchy (hopefully) beats you hear in the background.

coldriver

• Crew
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
+5
/>
My last video featuring the Oregon & Northeastern was so well received that I decided to make another one on a day in the life of Silvies Yard.  I'm really trying to focus on explaining what's going on based on my many years as a prototype switchman, yardmaster, and trainmaster.  I'm well aware of all the mind-numbing op session videos out there on YouTube so I've really kept things moving at a good pace to (hopefully) keep people's attention. 

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:31 PM »
Great video Dean and really thorough explanation.  Love the progress you're making.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
Another great video Dean!!!! love the yard operations. Silves Yard looks like a great challenge, I will have to try it next time I am up. And don't you know better than to hold up the Santa Fe train :o LOL....Awesome operating layout!!!!!!!    Gordon / Santa Fe-All the Way