Author Topic: Painting Ties  (Read 1105 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Painting Ties
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
I am using ME Code 55 weathered flex-track.  The rails look fine as-is but I want to paint the ties so they will be almost creosote black with some of the brown still showing.  I want to paint the track prior to installation using a brush.  I tried mixing up some artist's acrylics and thinning it with water but all I ended up with was a glob of mung that looked nothing like I wanted.  What would I use to thin these acrylics so that the mix can be brushed on?

Doug 

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Painting Ties
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
Here is a pic of what I've done.   This is actually code 40 track, but that doesn't matter.   First step is to prime the track with a Model Master light gray color from the rattle can, since with out a primer the rest of the paint will have a hard time adhering, and likely will rub off easily during ballasting.  Next, I apply washes of burnt umber oil paint, thinned with mineral spirits.  After drying overnight, I apply additional washes of black and raw umber, trying to vary the color a bit across ties so that it does not come out too uniformly.  You can vary the tones to get the more predominantly black effect that you want.

You can try something similar with acrylics, but I think the oils work better for me since they dissolve more readily and bond better when dry.  Also, the subsequent washes will blend better with previous coats, whereas acrylics become impervious after they dry.  Acrylics might also dry too quickly during the process.

I do paint the track before installation, since I can do it outdoors or in the garage and avoid the indoor paint fumes.  However the paint can make the flextrack somewhat stiffer.  For the rails, I used the Woodland scenics paint pens, and I try to apply it just so that it also covers the tieplates/spikes.

I suggest trying it out on some sample track, so you can find the techniques and colors that give you what you are looking for.

HTH,
Ed

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
Hi Doug:

My process seems similar to Ed's:

1.  Prime track with enamel gray (I used Model Master FS16473 Aircraft Gray).

2.  Apply thinned Artists' Oil Colour Raw Umber.

3.  Paint rails Floquil 110070 Roof Brown.

As Ed states, oil paints for durability.

End result of first attempt:

More at my website under Costruction-Tracklaying.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
Tim, that is superb.  Even the gap in the PC board tie looks like it fits in. 

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll turf the acrylics and go with the oils.  I'll have to see if there is a suitable primer I can use made by Tamiya.  It's the only stuff available locally.

Doug