Author Topic: Went to the Windows store and walked out with a 3D printer (well - I could have)  (Read 1315 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
I didn't know this and I don't know if it's everywhere but the Windows store at one of the Denver malls is selling the Makerbot 2 for a little over $2K.  They had some test samples and were currently printing some sort of rocket bunny.  The guy I talked to said they'd be willing to print a file for me but there was still an hour left on the bunny and I didn't know how long my file would take since I'd want to see it on the highest resolution (bunny was on low).

The resolution isn't there yet, but I am impressed with how clean the PLA comes out of the machine.  I'm hoping to find a way to get back and see if I can get a file printed that I've done through Shapeways to do a direct comparison.  But even as it is, there might $2000 worth of fun.

Jason

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
I have a friend who has just purchased said same machine [makerbot 2] I sent him a file printed in FUD and one in BSF hopefully get over Thursday or Friday to see the results. If all goes to plan comparison by end of week.

Alexander

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
Supposedly some sort of 3D printing headquarters is open in downtown Youngstown:
http://www.industryweek.com/emerging-technologies/will-namii-work

I remember once finding the specs for all the equipment they have, but can't find it right now.

I wonder if you just walk in there and get stuff printed.

3rdboxcar

• Crew
Hi

Update on earlier post - my friend has printed this http://www.shapeways.com/model/1607952/cnsm-electric-loco-452.html?li=shop-results&materialId=61 on his Replicator 2 and here are his initial comments, he has not seen the Shapeways printed model yet -

Done a test print of your loco body and superficially it is quite good.   It would look great as a derelict loco rusting away in a scrap yard!!   However, it needs a lot more print optimisation and machine development before it gets close to being acceptable for your needs - indeed it may be too fine for this machine.   Oddly, some of the fine parts have come out rather well and others are a mess.    There is a lot of fine tweeking possible with these machines, so I would be hopeful of getting  a considerable improvement over time.

I will be having a trip over on Thursday so pictures should follow after that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4622
    • Coming (not so) soon...
I think that a huge obstacle when printing using PLA will be that paints will not adhere well to it.  It is sort of a slippery plastic like Delrin.  It might be ok if the items aren't handled, but items which will be handled, or need to be masked for multi-color painting, might have paint peel off.
. . . 42 . . .

3rdboxcar

• Crew
Hi

Just back from Warrington, the steeplecab loco has printed in some areas as good as FUD and others not so good, it struggled with the window frames on the cab side, it printed the bell perfectly, the body drooped slightly but that was because there were no supporting structure put in,  so the machine has some potential. all the things printed so far have been given a coat of primer and this has adhered ok and I was unable to get it to peel off.

I am going to design a test model to see the different results in different orientations etc.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
We've got this exact 3d printer and the detail really just isn't close to there yet for our hobby.  Maybe useful for making more mechanical parts for our layouts like a turnout control but nothing you'd actually see.

Shapeways frosted ultra-detail is just barely acceptable for n scale stuff and the makerbot can't even come close to it.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
I saw the setup at the Microsoft store as well...I think it was the Schaumburg, IL store.  I assumed it wasn't close to Shapeways FUD but I agree it would be fun...and I never thought about the lesser detail things like under-layout mounting rigs and so forth.

I give it 5 years and we'll be printing musuem quality FUD on our $500 desktop printer.  Hopefully Micro-Scale is still around then, or maybe we'll have a $200 white-ink printer alongside our FUD machine?   Of course, that will be old school...the real bleeding edge guys will have wall-sized curved 3D 4K displays with their layout file on display, trying to decide if they want "winter" or "summer" for this ops session.   8)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
musuem quality FUD.  :?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Apparently we're already there: http://www.searails.com/structures/architectural.html

Oh yeah, CLEARLY!    :trollface:

(I should have used trollface above, but my use of the term museum quality was hopefully taken in jest.)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.