Author Topic: Seeking suggestions for bonding bridge guard rails.  (Read 864 times)

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
Seeking suggestions for bonding bridge guard rails.
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »
Hi Gang
Although I would prefer to use the bridge track that comes with the Atlas through truss bridge.  It does not seem to be available any more, that is if it were ever available as a separate part any time before.  I like it because it comes with a guard rail molded in place. 
My next preference which is available, is the Micro Engineering flex bridge track.   I have used Micro Engineering's bridge track before but have had trouble keeping the guard rail bonded to the ties (thus the preference for the unavailable atlas bridge track).  This Micro Engineering's bridge track offers small indicator moldings on each tie for the guard rail to fit in between and help keep the guard rail aligned. These indicators maybe the culprit interfering with a good bond, haven't checked that yet but I thought I would post the question here on the Railwire.  I welcome thoughts, experience and suggestions by the way I am using code 55.
Thanks

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Seeking suggestions for bonding bridge guard rails.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:52:13 PM »
My recommendation is to use Pliobond, followed by a "heat treatment" by briefly applying a soldering iron to the rail every inch or so. This both helps set the Pliobond, but also makes sure the rail is well seated on the ties. Indeed, if the rail does not sit properly, a little more heat will set the rail a little deeper by partially melting the ties. Just be sure not to go too far with this.

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
My recommendation is to use Pliobond, followed by a "heat treatment" by briefly applying a soldering iron to the rail every inch or so. This both helps set the Pliobond, but also makes sure the rail is well seated on the ties. Indeed, if the rail does not sit properly, a little more heat will set the rail a little deeper by partially melting the ties. Just be sure not to go too far with this.

Thank You David the heat makes a lot of sense.  Don't have any Pliobond, I will have to order some for my arsenal of adhesives.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:07 AM »

This is the procedure I use for my handlaid track; the heat treatment really works well and you can actually hear hte Pliobond sizzling a little, but I would add to David's comment that this procedure requires good ventilation, as heating the Pliobond does give off some fumes which you don't want to be breathing in.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ