Author Topic: Adding Micro-Trains Caboose End Rails to Con Cor Caboose (???)  (Read 1986 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Has anyone put Micro-Trains caboose end railings/ladders (part # 1087) on Con Cor bay window cabooses?

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-trains-N-1087-Caboose-End-Rails-p/mtl-49950905.htm?CartID=7

If so, what type adhesive did you use? Any other helpful hints?

Hmm... helpful hint #27 -
FEED ME...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Frisco Larry

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Re: Adding Micro-Trains Caboose End Rails to Con Cor Caboose (???)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
I have put several MTL caboose ends on Atlas cabooses, but none on Con-Cor cabooses.  The MTL ends have two small pegs on the end floor beam, which press into the MTL floor.  I just duplicated the hole pattern on the Atlas cabooses, and press them on.  Should work the same way on Con-Cor cabooses.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
...The MTL ends have two small pegs on the end floor beam, which press into the MTL floor.  I just duplicated the hole pattern on the Atlas cabooses, and press them on.  Should work the same way on Con-Cor cabooses.

That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm... I suggest Kiz
should feed me a pound
of termites and a nice
banana daiquiri or two...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

u36b

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
I would not replace the end railings - they are prototypically right (and look quite acceptable once painted) and are unique SP class C-30-4, -5 and -6 Cabooses:

The Concor cars look "wrong" because of the shortened truck centers. I started cutting the Concor under-frame, then got a Traincat kit, which I never finished and ....... :facepalm:
Just bananas - Dee would like it over here 

Stephan

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the photo, Stephan. I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I want to make some Southern Railway cabooses. Something like this:

http://www.wrighttrak.com/data/storage/attachments/a01242b76af6ebf2977c9e6f28636dc7.jpg

Perhaps I should use some Model Power bay window cabooses... Hmm... thassa lotta work...

Hmm... try finding some
Athearn Southern cabooses...

"It works! It works!"

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
There's also the Gold Medal Models #160-18 etched roof walks and end rails set for the model power bay window caboose. Not sure if it can be used for the con cor bay window or not.  Might be worth a shot.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
There's also the Gold Medal Models #160-18 etched roof walks and end rails set for the model power bay window caboose. Not sure if it can be used for the con cor bay window or not.  Might be worth a shot.

After finding photos of the Con Cor caboose online, I think it would be easier, and more accurate (a highly subjective term!) if I used the Model Power cabooses, which I already have. The bay window on the MP caboose looks more like the Southern Railway bay window cabooses I want to model.

Hmm... if Kiz wasn't so
cheap, I'd cajole him into
buying some Athearn bay
window cabooses, already
in the Southern scheme...

"It works! It works!"

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
I never did on the C-C, but I did on the Bachmann four wheel caboose.  I drilled two VERY tiny holes in the roof end to accomodate the ends of the ladder and used Walthers to glue it to the deck.

It took a while to drill the holes as I used the thinnest pin vise that I had ever seen and it is quite delicate, so you must go easy.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:34 AM »
That SOU cab is a pretty close match to the Walthers cab:

Walthers produced the cabs in three versions: full bay split window, full bay single window (shown above), and half bay. Atlas wide vision caboose end rails are a direct fit on these cars.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 09:03:44 AM »
Kiz,

Don't forget that Athearn made a bay window caboose decorated for the Southern Ry.  It's a foobie, but, since I only model an interchange with the Southern on my layout, it doesn't bother me.  Besides, the Athearn caboose is a much better model than the Con-Cor.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
Kiz,

Don't forget that Athearn made a bay window caboose decorated for the Southern Ry...  ...Besides, the Athearn caboose is a much better model than the Con-Cor.

Okay, if I can find any Athearn Southern cabooses, I'll... I'llbuythem! There, are you happy, Dee?

Hmm... whatever makes
YOU happy, Kiz...

"It works! It works!"

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
The Kato caboose railings also are a better fit for the Model Power body than the MTL railings.

Or course, the Gold Medal etched set is specifically designed for the model, so it's best to see what option best matches the Southern prototype.  I agree that the older Walthers model is a better representation of the prototype, and it isn't hard to scavenge them online.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
The Walthers model was #932-8758.  Here is a photo:

List price was $13 so you should be able to acquire them at little expense.  And as Dan mentioned, the end railings can be upgraded with those from the Atlas wide-vision caboose model.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net