Author Topic: Missouri Pacific Arkansas Division, Hoxie Sub-Jacksonville Industrial Park  (Read 9068 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Missouri Pacific Arkansas Division, Hoxie Sub-Jacksonville Industrial Park
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Ok, a small setback tonight. I didn't like the installed "hill" so I removed it. Nowhere along the industrial branch is there anything that closely resembles a hill...it just wasn't going to work. I did rough up the foam some and made some undulations, and then spread lightweight spackle all over the area. I'm going to let that cure a day or so and sand it out and paint it, see if it makes the little nuances I'll be more comfortable with.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
Not much to report; did put a coat of paint on the layout to get rid of the blue boy look. Next project is putting together some structures to start filling in the siding spaces so I know how the rest of the landscape will work out.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
A little bit of layout work today, but nothing picture worthy just yet. I figured out the ladders to both staging yards (NLR-west and Bald Knob-east) and laid some roadbed towards both staging ladders. After the roadbed dried I rasped and sanded the roadbed down to the foam and used some lightweight spackling to help the bumps to get both staging yard down to the bare foam. Then I coated the foam with some latex brown paint (another Lowe's mis-tint selection) and I'm waiting for it to dry before I can cut and glue the tracks down to the foam to make both staging yards. I'm also going to add the engine service facility to the NLR yard area for servicing and storing engines.

I didn't figure anyone would want to see a picture of paint drying, so I'll wait until I start laying the staging tracks to snap some update shots.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
So a bad turnout brought about an idea that has lengthened the railroad! Not more space, but a longer Doniphan branch has become the positive. I thought this would be a pretty good time to load some updates on here...so here are a few pics of what has happened this weekend so far.

We start with the turnout from the Hoxie mainline that connects the Jacksonville Northwestern branchline. This has a couple of lazy curves and makes its' way to the NLR staging tracks.

Here is a shot of the NLR staging yard looking east. The short curve piece will connect to trackage that will run to the Mopac engine servicing area and two bay engine house which will tie up the Hoxie/Jacksonville engines when they finish their runs.

A look to the west shows the end of the staging yard. The track will continue around the corner and stop at the edge for now (hopefully someday the CEO (Mrs.) of the land appropriations committee will approve a shallow shelf across the window).

Here is the entrance into the Bald Knob staging yard looking east. The trackage you see with the stick pins is the "new" and extended Doniphan lumber mill branch.

The Doniphan branch will now run almost three times as long as prior planning, not only encompassing the Doniphan lumber mill, but will now run into Searcy to switch boxcars, hoppers with plastics pellets, and chemical tankers at a manufacturing company.

Here is the new Searcy runaround track. I had three short ME turnouts and put them to use. They're small, but an engine pulling one of the Mopac passenger cars went through with no problem, so I opted to put them to use.

And here is the end of the Doniphan Branch in Searcy. Although the tracks are next to each other, in operating the railroad they'll be around 35 miles apart (best I can do with the space).

So that's where I am right now. I am not going to add any more track that isn't planned. I have to finish attaching both staging yards, glue the tracks down, and clean everything up. I've been lazy in that I haven't started on one structure yet...that's gonna change tomorrow as I have the holiday off and will start putting the Doniphan Lumber Mill together.

michael

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »
Ok, after church tonight I got the remaining tracks in both staging yards cut to size and connected. Tomorrow I'll pull them up one track at a time and glue them down, don't feel like getting glue fingers this close to bed time.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Ahh...at a good point! I have all the track glued down and have run an engine over every staging track and the engine service spurs...

all works quite well at this point. Now the fun of ballasting and landscape and trees and shrubs and structures begins!