Author Topic: Rapido and N scale  (Read 14536 times)

NYNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
Re: Rapido and N scale
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
I too and very glad you are making a great effort to provide N-scalers with fine products. And I also am eagerly awaiting Osgood-Bradley cars in New Haven paint in N-Scale. I'd also love that Turbotrain too. I grew up watching it from out of Boston.
Brian

My Rail Travel Blog: http://twentystates.blogspot.com/

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »

But, has someone in Rapido's sales division done the marketing research to see if any N scale modellers have that kind of money to "own the fleet" of GMD-1s? If I asked my wife if I can have $3600CDN for N scale locomotives, I'd be living under a bridge in an appliance box down by the river and she's very supportive of my N Scale activities. She doesn't mind me spending money on all those Micro Trains cars I just gotta have, or a fine bottle of single malt or a new guitar once and a great while. But really, 15 GMD-1s or an Omega Speedmaster wrist watch? Or maybe several months of mortgage payments.  I guess it's a matter of priorities.

Thank you.

I don 't know if any "one" will "buy the fleet" but it's not beyond reason to see a club, group of three, four or five modellers or even a larger group pooling resources and taking advantage of the price and the unique road numbers.... Hey; we're Rapido and doing nutty train things isn't the exception around here, it' the rule....

Besides, "own the fleet" is just too cool to not offer..... :D

"Rapido" Puddy
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
The fleet is a cool idea, I am sure someone will take the plunge. 

This is a great model to produce- don't let the "yeah but what about a XXX model" people drown out the positives here.  A detailed, multi period model, including undecorated versions (for the stripping adverse...) at a pretty good retail price.  I'm impressed.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
I, for one, think Jason deserves Kudos for sharing this information. Generally the only feedback we modelers get is that a product has been cancelled due to insufficient orders. I think this is a proactive approach.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
Jason,
Do you order figures count dealer orders, or just the direct to Rapido stuff?  Cause I ordered a GMD-1 thorugh one of your Canadian purveyors.

That aside, I don't think N scalers are avoiding your products or assuming you are only HO - I htink N scalers want your HO line in N scale and as it migrates over we'll shop it.  I'm in for a GMD-1, and I'd love to buy an LRV - neither of which ever showed up in south Louisiana in the 1995-2005 time frame I model.  But they're really cool, so I'll buy when the time is right.  Ditto a Genset if you happen to decide to tool one for your GMD-1 mechanism (Since Paul and Cory seem to  NOT want to downsize their HO version of the same). I also have a Point St. Charles caboose heading down here (potentially arriving today) and I'm in for one of the bulkhead flats you guys have done.

My point is that you all have great products, and N scalers WILL Buy them.  Plus if you don't give us what we want we'll have Guido and da boys "speak" to Mr. Puddington . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
My point is that you all have great products, and N scalers WILL Buy them.  Plus if you don't give us what we want we'll have Guido and da boys "speak" to Mr. Puddington . . . .

Great, just great ... now I have to hire the "Ed and Lee" protection agency .... and do you know just how much bacon and beer that costs.... really !  8)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »
Ed and Lee are part of "da boys" and while they get to freelance occasionally, in this instance you'll need more the beer and bacon to buy them off!   8)
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
I'm kind of in the same boat in terms of loving the corporate philosophy and the quality of the products, but not having a need for what you're doing in N right now.  At most, your Amtrak sleeper might do me.

I view you guys as having a (rightfully) Canadian focus.  I don't expect you to vary from that.  My most intense need right now is for reliable, DCC-ready Pennsy steam and no one is offering that en masse right now.  I would hardly expect your company to do so given what you focus on.  Besides, you (like most companies) lead a product with HO and then some trickle to N.  The Pennsy steam market is well established in HO with zero trickle to N.

Keep up the awesomeness!  I just don't think I'm your target market.

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
Hi guys,

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't complaining that our numbers are too low.  I am 100% certain the GMD-1 will be a successful project.

My concern is that the vast majority of our newsletter subscribers are HO.  I'm thinking aloud about the best way to get more N scalers to sign up.

We're now advertising in NSR and NSM.  Mike's spreading the word on the forums.  I guess that's all we can do.  If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
Keep maintaining a presence in the two N scale mags, and in the N forums and social media.  Increase the promotion of your N scale lines on your Facebook page.  Make sure you have some N scale news in the Newsletter every issue, even if it's only to report on the status of upcoming products, so that N scalers will have a reason to subscribe.  That will help to have an impact once your N scale product starts flowing.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
SD40-2's and an ALCO C425 for starters and you will make a killing in N!! 8) There a lot of niches to fill in rolling stock too such as 70's era gondolas pipe gons ect, also bulkhead flats and more tank cars to mention a few! ;)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
OK, went on the website.....

On the newsletter.... I can tell you one thing, I'm certainly not interested in hearing about new HO products, only N, and nothing on the newsletter signup was scale specific.  So the likelihood that I'll even open it is much lower.   It's OK if I only get one update a year, if I know it's only going to be N scale.

Rest of the web page is coming nicely.
That's really interesting!   I had no idea you were as close on the freight cars and they look really nice.   Really nice.

I was also intrigued by the concept that you are selling the CHASSIS ONLY for the GMD1's.   I'd be tempted just for that, if I had the following: 

1)  Decent picture of chassis
2)  Schematic or parts diagram
3)  Key dimensions of mechanism (wheelbase, truck centers, length, width, height)

I have no use at all for a GMD1, but the Atlas RSD is such a complete miserable lightweight that it can hardly drag itself around, let alone a train.   Always looking at all new mechanisms to see what else can be done with them, and if they can be purchased separately.   Atlas' willingness to work with me on the CF7 project was key to that one.

Weren't those oddball A1A Flexicoil trucks also used on the SDL39?  Or have a similar shorter odd wheelbase if they were three-motor?

Any plan to offer the four-axle Flexicoil truck version?   Those trucks were under several models.

I have no idea what else it might be useful for, but in the era of RP, you just never know.

And finally, the nudge on a 'short version' of the Easy-Peasy car lighting, for short baggage cars and cabooses.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:48:14 AM by randgust »

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
OK, went on the website.....

On the newsletter.... I can tell you one thing, I'm certainly not interested in hearing about new HO products, only N, and nothing on the newsletter signup was scale specific.  So the likelihood that I'll even open it is much lower.   It's OK if I only get one update a year, if I know it's only going to be N scale.

Rest of the web page is coming nicely.
That's really interesting!   I had no idea you were as close on the freight cars and they look really nice.   Really nice.

I was also intrigued by the concept that you are selling the CHASSIS ONLY for the GMD1's.   I'd be tempted just for that, if I had the following: 

1)  Decent picture of chassis
2)  Schematic or parts diagram
3)  Key dimensions of mechanism (wheelbase, truck centers, length, width, height)

I have no use at all for a GMD1, but the Atlas RSD is such a complete miserable lightweight that it can hardly drag itself around, let alone a train.   Always looking at all new mechanisms to see what else can be done with them, and if they can be purchased separately.   Atlas' willingness to work with me on the CF7 project was key to that one.

Weren't those oddball A1A Flexicoil trucks also used on the SDL39?  Or have a similar shorter odd wheelbase if they were three-motor?

Any plan to offer the four-axle Flexicoil truck version?   Those trucks were under several models.

I have no idea what else it might be useful for, but in the era of RP, you just never know.

And finally, the nudge on a 'short version' of the Easy-Peasy car lighting, for short baggage cars and cabooses.

In the GMD-1 thread the B-B version was mentioned as being in the next production run.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
In addition to the press and social media you need to fin a way to deliver actual product on at least a quarterly basis.  I want your  cafe cars and sleepers you reannounced but I am not going to pre order them for a second time.  I think your communication and products are great but I need to see the product.  Kind of like a great looking women, she looks awesome, always answers your texts timely but never can find time to go out on a date is not much good for a quality future.  I would also keep in mind that for the past two years your news letter has been all HO.  I hope to see more and more and more!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
"yeah but what about a XXX model"
:trollface: