Author Topic: Concrete batch processing plant deliveries: which by rail, which by truck?  (Read 4326 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Concrete batch processing plant deliveries: which by rail, which by truck?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
Tank you guys!
On that one in Decatur, AL, I can see the long siding with the string of covered hoppers on it, and there's a little building
part-way along that siding which must be where the unloader is.  What is odd to me is that the actual
silo  building (the one with the 3 tall tower silos, over where all the concrete trucks are),
is a long way away, all the way across the construction yard,
from the unloading area.   So what do they do, truck it across the yard and then run it up conveyors into
the mix?  That seems like a pain.   Well, I'm taking some artistic license here, and trying to keep this thing small,
so there is a siding that runs right up next to the building with the silos.  In my little world, they will park
a covered hopper of sand or cement there, and unload pneumatically right up into the silos, where it is stored. 

Further down that same spur, they can park a regular hopper that will be unloaded from underneath by conveyor to dump the gravel into work piles in the yard.
A clamshell crane will pick up buckets of gravel and place them into a small hopper , that will feed the gravel out
onto a conveyor to carry the gravel up up into the silo building.

Now, how the amounts of cement, gravel, and sand are measured, well...   I'll just pretend that magic happens inside the building
attached to the silos. 

I'll take a few pics to post in here later that will make it clearer.   

PEIR

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
This:
http://binged.it/1jAJzmD

?

Where I live we have this place:
http://binged.it/1jAK7sz
It was built right on top of an old blast furnace so that is what the left over trestle is for. To the right is where they un-load:

I think the small yellow crane goes on top of the cars to shake them while unloading.

I have no idea if they do everything by rail, just thought I'd share.

How are the cars moved to the dump pit? Gravity or is there a locomotive on one end of the train? Roughly how many cars would be unloaded and how long would it take to unload all of them?
Working on a early 90's ALCO powered short line.

Stephen

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:26 AM »
How are the cars moved to the dump pit? Gravity or is there a locomotive on one end of the train? Roughly how many cars would be unloaded and how long would it take to unload all of them?

It is located on a shortline (ex Erie mainline), but some how CSX got the contract or whatever. So CSX pulls off their main onto a dead end part of the old Erie and then backs up the whole way to the concrete plant. I've only see them do this twice, both times they backed up till the first car was ready to dump and pulled forward from there. I didn't stay there to watch them unload as they were probably wondering what I was doing with a camera:

Probably 30-40 cars max.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:04:00 AM by Chris333 »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
Here is the Boston Sand & Gravel operation. Agg arrvies via hopper cars from New Hampshire Northcoast and leaves in cement trucks.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »

This Agg unloading scheme is available.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

PEIR

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
It is located on a shortline (ex Erie mainline), but some how CSX got the contract or whatever. So CSX pulls off their main onto a dead end part of the old Erie and then backs up the whole way to the concrete plant. I've only see them do this twice, both times they backed up till the first car was ready to dump and pulled forward from there. I didn't stay there to watch them unload as they were probably wondering what I was doing with a camera:

Probably 30-40 cars max.

Thanks! I have several Walthers aggregate cars and was wondering how to build a unloading area. Those pictures would make a great background scene.
Working on a early 90's ALCO powered short line.

Stephen

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Thanks! I have several Walthers aggregate cars and was wondering how to build a unloading area. Those pictures would make a great background scene.

I have some video somewhere of this aggregate unloader in action.

http://goo.gl/maps/SxDwh

The yellow part hanging from the frame shakes the cars.

http://goo.gl/maps/XjpjR

And it's complete with a caboose for a scale office.

http://goo.gl/maps/QxZXw
http://goo.gl/maps/ebXJO

Jason

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »

And it's complete with a caboose for a scale office.

Jason

It appears they also have an old boxcar for storage purposes too, just below the front end loader

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
The unloader with the conveyor on a pivot point is called a stacker.  With various piles of aggregate in the pic you can see they are segregating the piles by different gradations.  Not all agg piles are the same.  Different types of concrete call for different mixes of sand and course aggregates.  The agg usually comes from the quarry already graded.

Bruce