Author Topic: Bmann NW-2  (Read 7076 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bmann NW-2
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 02:29:10 AM »
Much easier to have your chinese engineers copy something that' already been built.

Um, Kato models are already built, and have been around for years.  Chinese have already copied that mechanism (including the motors) in other models (like Atlas, IM and other Chinese-made models).  Bachmann for some reason uses the old-school design. But not on all models. Acela for example uses Kato-style axle bearings in all but the powered car. The powered car used the old-school mechanism.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
I started out with a Rivarossi SW1500 that I changed the roof on.  When the LL SW8/9/1200 first came out I got one of those, big improvement.   The only glitch they had (which many LL diesels do) is that if it 'sat' a while, it would run erratically until the wheel treads polished up.   For road power, that was OK as an MU'd unit would nudge it, but for a switcher, I couldn't even get it out of the enginehouse without fingers.  But it ran well once it got started.  Wasn't real fond of the pickups mounted to the shell, like most, I was always fixing those.

So the Kato was actually an improvement over that, and I was surprised that it pulled as well without a cab weight.   On my transistor throttle, it's very nice and slow.   I've never had any gear problems either, and mine was most certainly a 'first run'.   But an NW2 on ATSF was pretty rare (they only had 15 units, and one left on the railroad by 2/75),  so that LL SW9 shell got transplanted over as I really liked it.   The Kato was the wrong paint, too (too blue and orange-yellow), but I don't mind repainting.

But I've also converted maybe....20 or so Kato NW2's over to SW1's for customers.   I have yet to see that cracked gear thing.   Not that I don't believe it, I just don't think it's as widespread as you would think.   I can field-strip an NW2, hack the frame, make the modifications and get it all back together and it runs just as well as it did as an NW2.   

If anybody still needs those photos of the LL body shell grinding to fit the Kato I'll repost those, but that's an old project.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:45:23 AM by randgust »

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
Looking at the mechanism, it would appear that there is plenty of meat on the side that could be ground away to use the chassis for an SW-1000/1500. Is the decoder board the full width of the mechanism?

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »
   I have yet to see that cracked gear thing.   Not that I don't believe it, I just don't think it's as widespread as you would think. 

Randy,
It's not a cracked gear thing. What I have found to be the problem is the main gear on the shaft between the universals. The gear doesn't crack but slips on the shaft. The shaft is polished and the plastic is just a friction fit.
My fix has been to roughen up the shaft where the gear sits and then put a drop of the red lock tight on it. This seems to fix the problem. A friend of mine has two of these and both have had this problem occur of which I did this fix to them.

Jon

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Randy,
It's not a cracked gear thing. What I have found to be the problem is the main gear on the shaft between the universals. The gear doesn't crack but slips on the shaft. The shaft is polished and the plastic is just a friction fit.
My fix has been to roughen up the shaft where the gear sits and then put a drop of the red lock tight on it. This seems to fix the problem. A friend of mine has two of these and both have had this problem occur of which I did this fix to them.

Jon

That sounds like a simple fix for an otherwise excellent model. 
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
Did some detailing on NW-2 today. Based on closest NYC road pic I found at FF site,
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc8770blr.jpg
I added grabs on left, replaced the horn, as original looked a bit crappy, added Sinclair antenna. Though, I see now with close photo, it's not set flush with cab roof.
Want to add piping over side air tanks, however crude I might do, also.
Here's what it is now,
[[/URL]
Sorry for crappy photo. Didn't feel like dragging out my usual photo rig.
Joe D

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
Although NYC is a dirty word to this SPF, I can say that you've done a nice job of turning an otherwise cruddy model into something worthy of a spot in a fleet.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Although NYC is a dirty word to this SPF, I can say that you've done a nice job of turning an otherwise cruddy model into something worthy of a spot in a fleet.

If New York Central is a dirty word I can't imagine what Penn Central must be.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
Nice job on the NYC unit.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
If New York Central is a dirty word I can't imagine what Penn Central must be.

I don't speak of those dark times...
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Kiasutha

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
I don't speak of those dark times...
But H.P. Lovecraft often wrote about them...

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »

Thank you. Seen a few variations of these in NYC fleet. Some with cab shades, some with cigar band logo on cab, and some with white side sill.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:31 PM »
This evening I added some piping above air(?) tanks on both sides. Makes it look just that much better.
[/URL]
 Bmann actually has something molded along top surface of tanks, you can't even see it.
 For a few minutes, I thought, "let me get the same part from Kato". They only sell with mechanism, OOS anyway.
 Wish Kato would include parts exploded views.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
It is probably part of Katos body shell and they are all sold out.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »
 Chris, Tanks not shown with the shell, but parts pix not too good there:(
 Joe D