Author Topic: Making decals  (Read 1372 times)

carmelmodelrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Making decals
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
I need to make a few decals to number some un-numbered locos.  This is a new area for me.  Do you have any experiences to share?  For instance, where do you buy decal paper (I won't need more than one or two sheets)?  Do you prefer inkjet or laser printing?  I see where Testors makes a kit of some kind.  Any experiences with that?  Thanks for your help.

Dick Wroblewski
carmelmodelrr

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Making decals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »
For a couple of my structure products, I use clear inkjet decal paper from http://www.decalpaper.com/. It seems that no matter where I buy it from, it's the same stuff--except for the local hobby shop and that didn't work at all for inkjet.

My printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8100.

I also use the Testors product 9200 Decal Bonder Spray, which I believe is part of that kit you mentioned.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:14:24 AM »
I use Bare Metal Foil decal paper http://bare-metal.com/model-decals.html (but only the laser printer version).  But they do also sell inkjet version.  The sell single sheets and 3-packs.
. . . 42 . . .

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
The problem with using an inkjet is that the ink is water solvable so once the decal in wet, the ink runs away. Laser is the best option (other than sealing inkjet prints with something and that makes it harder to conform to uneven surfaces). Just my $.02
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
I've used both inkjet and laser decal paper.  I do prefer using the laser paper over inkjet.  But then I mostly print using black ink making numberboards or reporting marks and numbers.  I seal all my decals with either  gloss coat, or Microscale's Liquid Decal Film.   I do have a little trouble with the inkjet decals wanting to run if I cut too close to the printing.  Also,  the inks used in inkjet(at least on my el cheapo printer) are designed for white paper from what I've been told and have read.  I did try that and the colors do come out rather transparent with the lighter colors the biggest offenders.

I do not own a laser printer, but one of the big box office supply stores near me will print off a sheet(they won't use a partial sheet) for me from my flash drive. My next trip is for trying some color decals on laser so I've no experience on how well this works yet.  The cost is less that a dollar.  You could call around to be sure one in your area would do this as I've heard it's hit or miss.

What font are you wishing to use for numbers.  Microscale, Woodland Scenics,  and others do make alpha/numeric sets in several fonts with 4 or 5 sizes on a sheet of paper.  Either water slide or dry transfer.  Of course if you have several loco's to do printing your own would be more economical as your likely to only get 3-4 unique 4 digit road numbers from a sheet.  Check their websites for examples.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
The problem with using an inkjet is that the ink is water solvable so once the decal in wet, the ink runs away. Laser is the best option (other than sealing inkjet prints with something and that makes it harder to conform to uneven surfaces). Just my $.02

The Testors 9200 Decal Bonder Spray works pretty good for sealing inkjet decals. One thin coat is all that's needed. It is also flexible for conforming to uneven surfaces. I've found that (so far) it works better than any of the other clear sprays I've tried. It's far cheaper than buying your own laser printer and more convenient than going out to a copy shop to use their laser printer every time you need decals.
James R. Will

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »
Krylon Clear Gloss is what I have used for the past two years to seal decals I've made on ink jet printers.  No issues with conforming to an engines surface or with ink running in my experience.

Also, there are several Railwire threads that go more in depth on decal making.  The search function in the upper right hand corner is your friend...  ;)

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742