Author Topic: The Bachmann NW-2  (Read 8378 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
The Bachmann NW-2
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:05:45 AM »
I said I wasn't going to do this, but I can take so many shots without coming back with something.

First of all, as always, people just think anything negative is bashing.  We'll it's not.  My stance on Bachmann's recent models have nothing to do with bashing them.  It also has really nothing to do prototype accuracy (even though that goes hand in hand with it).  My biggest beef is that Bachmann is moving the bar so low that these new models are in many cases worse than the stuff they did 20 years ago.  Certainly worse than anything from anyone else currently. 

I could pick any of the models Bachmann has done since the 44 Tonner but as an example I found a great side picture of the NW-2.

A. No tread plate.  Sure a lot of people may not care, but how much money gets saved by not having to cut that tooling  (This is a real question BTW maybe I'm way off here)?  Why else would you not have it if not for cost?  Do people not like it?

B. No grabs.  FVM has gone this route, but I hope no one will insult Matt by comparing the two.  Again, saving in tooling?

C. Windows are too small (but at least a decent shape).  Why?  Was it was just easier to not check?  And why are the frames painted silver?  Which road had that ( and which road had frames anyway I see some with black gaskets)?

D. No separation on the battery box(?).  Not a big deal obviously.  This started with the GP7 I think.  It's clearly there on the prototype and other manufactures don't seem to have a problem doing it.  Con Cor's SW1500 thing even had that even though everything else was wrong.  :lol:

E.  Why are these radii so small?  Again, no reason for it.  Kato got it right, it's clear in any pictures, what's the problem?

F. Why is the sand filler hatch so small.  You can see that with the naked eye. It wouldn't take any more effort to get it right would it?  Would it?  Bachmann's using computers right?

Before I go on, I'll admit these are all pretty small and likely stupid things to most.  The problem is how many there are (I could do more).  How many small errors, omissions and compromises does it take to finally get people's attention?  What if it had no doors?  Would that do it? 

But the last two are a little different.

G.  Where are the door latches on the hood?  They got the latches on the side even if they are hard to see.  It's easy to see in any picture of the prototype.  Kato has it.  Con Cor had them.  Anyone else would have them.  It's the part of the model we see the most.  Why not have them?

And the granddaddy.

H.  What's up with the vent(?) on the top of the hood?  I drew in red how far back it's supposed to go and there are no divisions.  After drawing it, it looks like maybe they just missed a whole section!  IDK for sure, but come on really, that's like 4' too short.  Is this really what $140 should get you?  Maybe, I guess, but it doesn't feel right.

If someone want to label me a 'perfectionist', that's fine, but they can first tell me why these are things everyone should just ignore and not say anything.  Why we should just all be happy little clams that anyone would choose make anything for us in the first place. 

I won't do it.  If that gets people out of their happy place, I'm sorry.

But I'll make a deal, I'll stop saying anything about Bachmann if no one else complains about how big their couplers are.  Oops too late.     :)

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: The Bachmann NW-2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:40 AM »
Without being an expert the first thing that sticks out to me about this model isn't even on your list. Those big a$$ gaps around the hood doors.  I could live with all of the mistakes for around $30 bucks, but when they charge that much I expect a real model when I open the box.

I really don't think Bachmann cares.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:31:33 AM by Chris333 »

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »
I am a kitbasher at heart so none of those issues are dealbreakers for me.  I don't really think that Bachmann is aiming for the "perfectionist" market nor cares about making the perfect NW2.  There are people out there who will buy them and that is good enough for them.  For me it is just another option available when I want to do some kind of project with that engine.  That is fine by me.  If I want perfection, I will go out and buy a bunch of ESM Pennsy X58's!  :D

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:27 AM »
If I want perfection, I will go out and buy a bunch of ESM Pennsy X58's!  :D

Scott Lupia

Ahh, but what if Bachmann made a X58 that was totally wack and then charged more than ESM?

I mentioned in another thread that going by the BLW website the Bachmann model is $16 more than the Kato model. Yet people have listed the Bachmann model is a better bargain and more affordable so they don't mind the lack of details. I'm a complete cheap a$$ with my money. I will search online or e-bay for the best crack head prices, but if someone makes great models at a higher price I have no problem paying, to me it is worth it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:58:08 AM by Chris333 »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »
Jason, for s**** and giggles, can you do the same with the Kato model? It would make this a more useful exercise.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:21 AM »
... A. No tread plate. ...

Seriously, that's a debatable point. Tread plate is a "modeler's angst" thing in N. If modeled to scale, each tread element amounts to 0.0063" x .0016" x .0008". That last dimension, the relief, is barely going to be visible even providing the plastic can flow into the dimples in the mold. Paint would then wipe out the effect. Tread plate as currently produced in N is grossly over-sized and you couldn't walk on it if scaled to 1:1.

I've put tread plate on my models only when modded, just to match the factory tread. The temptation is always there to sand off the over-scale "effect".

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
While we are here on the subject of this little critter, whats under the hood? How about some discussion on that as well.

Jon

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
Old technology, running a side valve V8.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
Seriously, that's a debatable point. Tread plate is a "modeler's angst" thing in N. If modeled to scale, each tread element amounts to 0.0063" x .0016" x .0008". That last dimension, the relief, is barely going to be visible even providing the plastic can flow into the dimples in the mold. Paint would then wipe out the effect. Tread plate as currently produced in N is grossly over-sized and you couldn't walk on it if scaled to 1:1.

I've put tread plate on my models only when modded, just to match the factory tread. The temptation is always there to sand off the over-scale "effect".

+ 1 - tread plate is so grossly out of scale.  Yet it's absence is seen as an omission ?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
Ahh, but what if Bachmann made a X58 that was totally wack and then charged more than ESM?

I mentioned in another thread that going by the BLW website the Bachmann model is $16 more than the Kato model. Yet people have listed the Bachmann model is a better bargain and more affordable so they don't mind the lack of details. I'm a complete cheap a$$ with my money. I will search online or e-bay for the best crack head prices, but if someone makes great models at a higher price I have no problem paying, to me it is worth it.
However, the Bachmann model is DCC-Equipped; their first next generation run, the B23-7, was DC only and was $30 or $40 at MBK; part of the reason the bachmann is still so costly even though it is a trainset engine (and a very good one at that, as everything you pointed out are tiny problems, to me at least), it's a dang good engine if it runs well, and to me that's the first thing we should care about with our models.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
"If you can find a better NW2, buy a better NW2"-Lee Iacocca

Seriously though, if people don't like it, they won't buy it. Simple as that. 
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
I found this showing the tread on a Kato:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/mfifer/nw2/DSCN4079.jpg

And this shows just how nice the Kato detailing is:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Kato/NNW2/DSCN2733.jpg

However, the Bachmann model is DCC-Equipped

and that is the only way I can buy one. I never asked for it.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
I don't have (yet) the Bachmann NW-2, but I do have the S4, and if they used the same mechanism, they wouldn't be surprised that the Bachmann NW-2 runs smoother/better than the Kato NW-2.

I have a Kato and it's loud, runs rough and starts moving at a much higher speed than my Bachmann S4.   The Bachmann S4 is a better switcher than the Kato NW-2 IMO. The only knock I have against the S4 is that I think the electrical pickup system is not as good as what Kato uses and over time I may have more issues with it– time will tell I guess.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
I think you have to look at the NW2, and the GP7 for that matter, as "entry level" locomotives - i.e., affordable enough to entice new modelers into the hobby.  When you look at it from the standpoint that DCC is included, it is more economical than any of the other brands.  As modelers become more seasoned and sophisticated in their tastes, they can "graduate" to more prototypically-accurate models offered by other manufacturers.

Most long-time modelers know that it's hit-and-miss regarding prototype fidelity on Bachmann products.  Even if the tooling is accurate, the deco schemes usually are not.  So you accept the models for what they are and modify them accordingly if desired.  It's good for the hobby that Bachmann is producing these models, even taking the prototypical "flaws" that exist in the body tooling.  From a mechanical standpoint, they've definitely raised the bar on the "toy train set" level of products.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7952
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
The frustrating thing is that it doesn't seem like it'd cost that more to do it right though. In some cases, maybe, like the tread, but in others (like the windows, or the radius of the step wells), not so much.

That means that those bad decisions existed not to keep costs down, but just because they didn't care enough about our wants to do anything about it. That can elicit quite the emotional reaction in people.

Personally, I'm just a bit let down. I was really thinking about getting one of those yellow NW2s, but now, not so much.