Author Topic: Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad Micro-Layout  (Read 49382 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad Micro-Layout
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
The namesake for the Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad is the Hoboken Shore Railroad, a shortline serving the industries and ports along the waterfront in Hoboken. The model railroad is a variation on my Jersey City Industrial Railroad, and came about in similar fashion: I'd done a track plan for a Railwire member that was never used, but I liked it enough that I finally decided to do something about it--especially now as the JCIR is in storage, I didn't want to unpack it all, and yet find myself in need of doing some modeling while I slog through the terminally slow process of getting construction started on my new home.

Once I embarked on the HMR, the fate of the JCIR has changed. Since both layouts are very similar settings, I've elected to abandon the dual-era scheme for the JCIR, as well as the season. Instead, the HMR will be 1930s in the winter, and the JCIR will be 1980s in the summer. There are many factors that led to these changes. First, the HMR will be built using Unitrack, chosen for several reasons: it will allow me to complete the trackwork quickly; the results will be highly reliable; and it's easier on my hands, which are succumbing to arthritis at an increasing rate. But of course there is the issue of Unitrack's cosmetics, so I thought that making the track snowbound would disguise the rail height and tie spacing issues. Consequently, this allowed me to leave the better-looking track of the JCIR visible. And it relieved me of the challenge of a dual-era layout (despite being confident in pulling it off) as it avoids any compromises I might be reluctant to take. Plus there's the practical aspect of having to "redress" the layout (remove the el, replace vehicles, swap out rolling stock) every time I changed eras.

So, the JCIR ultimately benefits from my frustration at not having a layout to work on at the moment, with that frustration begetting the HMR. Meanwhile, the HMR will benefit from the setting: Hoboken's architecture is generally more varied and interesting, which will allow me more freedom in choosing structures--as contrasted with the constraints imposed by Jersey City's much more limited architectural palate.

As for the layout itself, the HMR is smaller than the JCIR, measuring 24 x 36 inches. But the compact plan is no less intricate, and should make for some interesting photo ops. Also, it's a bi-level plan, with an outer loop on the lower level, and all of the switching action on the upper, connected by a ramp (second track from the left). Admittedly it's a bowl of spaghetti--well, more like a cup of spaghetti--but then again the prototype is quite dense in places. And now, without further ado, the track plan:

Track has been ordered and should arrive in a few days. In the meantime I'll be cutting up some Gatorfoam so I can lay track the moment it arrives. I'm also sifting through structure kit lists--again--looking for candidates to populate Hoboken in the 30s.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:51:00 PM by DKS »

PRRATSF

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
This comes at the perfect time. My Wife allocated a 3'x10' space in our sitting room for my first layout in 20 years. Went with unitrack, 2 track main line with passing siding and space for 4 industries. looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Glad to see your getting back into it.

Sam

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5511
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
I like 1930's. What motive power?

Had this in my bookmarks:
http://ponyrr.blogspot.com/

Welcome back  :D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
My preference would be steam (0-4-0 or 0-6-0), but I worry about reliability, so I may possibly cobble together a boxcab and/or an HH660. Until then, I'll probably drag stuff around with a 44-tonner, since it's a lot less work, although it's too modern for the layout setting.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:15:35 AM by David K. Smith »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5511
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
According to the #43 cyclopedia the boxcabs were placed into service in 1929 and lasted till 1936.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
Spaghetti and waffles!

Just kidding.  I actually like your new direction.  First, one advantage of these micro layouts is that you can have several of them to cure the itch for multiple love-affairs with several different prototypes without taking over the house.  Second, I was never a fan of the dual era thing.  While I know that if anyone can pull it off, it's you, DKS, but no matter what you would do, the train would be an anachronism on one side of the layout or the other.

Looking forward to following along,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:07:24 AM »
David, there's a gentleman I operate with here in South Jersey (he's pretty much our construction/track laying guru around here) who is building a basement-sized HO Hoboken Shore layout, http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37700&whichpage=1. He also has some material and the like on it as well and there's a few reference posts/images in that thread as well,

Phil
- Phil

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »
I'll echo what Dave Foxx said about building these micro-layouts... I can definitely see the allure of going that direction.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
+1,000,000 for micro-layouts (this is my next plan, also dense urban industrial)! Excellent plan! As for box cabs, the 44-tonner chassis is a great base for a box cab.  Looking forward to this build, and then the continuation of JCIR.  8)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
That grade looks about 7%.   :o

Jason

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
David, there's a gentleman I operate with here in South Jersey (he's pretty much our construction/track laying guru around here) who is building a basement-sized HO Hoboken Shore layout, http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37700&whichpage=1. He also has some material and the like on it as well and there's a few reference posts/images in that thread as well,

Thanks for the link!

That grade looks about 7%.   :o

5%.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:54:59 PM by David K. Smith »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
I'm sure this will be at least as hawt as the James River Branch!

But, I see that trackplan and wonder how you could resist throwing in a couple wood trestles and a big sombrero in the center!

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »

5%.

:?

I don't know your vertical dimension but that should be 9.75 Unitrack (?) with a half a turn rise.

2" / (9.75" * Pi) = 6.5%

Add in vertical easements...

I guess your two levels aren't flat or have separation much less than 2".

Jason

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:10:01 PM by wcfn100 »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Vertical separation is ~1.65" (remember, this is a 30s layout, so clearances do not need to be as great as on modern layouts). Length of grade is 36" (not all the parts are the same). Nominal grade is 4.6%; allowing for vertical easements, ~5%.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:20:54 PM by David K. Smith »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
Neat.  I love the idea of burying the Unitrack in snow.  Will you model ice floating in the harbor?

That multi-level, 4-track curve will be a challenge to pull off (but you're up to it) and the tail track on the switch-back to the upper level seems frustratingly short.  Might you extend that a bit?

-gfh