Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/5/14  (Read 12423 times)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
Re: Weekend Update 1/5/14
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
I've been slowly working on sizing more structures and laying a bit more track up Delaware Ave. and Penn St.

The prototype:  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=penn+st+at+shackamaxon+st+phila+pa&ll=39.962766,-75.135005&spn=0.001558,0.002642&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hq=penn+st+at&hnear=Shackamaxon+St,+Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania&t=h&z=19

The model:

Acorn Iron & Steel Supply is currently home to Yard's brewing, one of my favorite places to get drunk in the Philly area. This shot shows the close relationship between this waterfront trackage and the Canal St. branch from my last update. The random track directly above the structure footprints ran directly down Delaware Ave. to serve the former Ajax Metal plant (the cardboard outline behind the bottle of wood glue).

Trackage farther up Penn St., the mass of crap and ZTS map will soon be home to Shackamaxon St. Yard. Don't mind the UP test loco, it was a gift from a well-meaning girlfriend who apparently does not understand sarcastic Facebook posts. I figure if a Bachmann will run on it, anything will...:

The area behind the curvature will be home to the Jack Frost Sugar refinery, which will be the largest and most-challenging complex to model on this layout:

http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15037coll3/id/2343/rec/8
Sean

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »

I've been running a few more F units through the detail shop....3 more boosters, in this case...have many more to do!
Microscale came through with another big batch of ATSF warbonnet sheets (for E and F units) so the Boosters are getting the "Santa Fe" lettering...I have enough 1957 pic evidence to show that a lot of B units got the lettering, to the point that I feel 'safe' adding these....knowing netter to say "never say never" and "always"....i may not add the lettering to all of my B units...only if someone can actually prove that all warbonnet B units had the lettering by 1957.

thanks for looking,
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Chris1274

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
Making some progress on an eastern Kentucky-style flood loader:

When I'm finished with this part I'm going to cannibalize some pieces from a New River Mine kit to make the top part. Hopefully the end product will be reminiscent of something along these lines:

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »
I've been running a few more F units through the detail shop....3 more boosters, in this case...have many more to do!
Microscale came through with another big batch of ATSF warbonnet sheets (for E and F units) so the Boosters are getting the "Santa Fe" lettering...I have enough 1957 pic evidence to show that a lot of B units got the lettering, to the point that I feel 'safe' adding these....knowing netter to say "never say never" and "always"....i may not add the lettering to all of my B units...only if someone can actually prove that all warbonnet B units had the lettering by 1957.

thanks for looking,
~Bruce

Nice units but holy crap....there's a washout ahead!  :scared:

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
Neat trackplan, DKS. 

Sean, why are you using old track?

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
Looking great!
Will that shell fit only on E5A mechs or E8/9 mechs as well?
Is it ready to order?

Thomas

I'd suggest the E5 mechanism as you'll need the window glass in order to attach the shell securely. The shell will fit over the E8 mechanism but you're on your own to get it to stay in place.

My web site will be updated tonight or tomorrow for ordering.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 05:41:35 PM »

Sean, why are you using old track?

I ain't made of futhamuckin' ducketts, yo...
Sean

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »
With the addition of Track 7 at the station diverging off Track 3 at the west end, and turning the east leads to Tracks 5 and 6 from dummies to live diverging routes from Tracks 3 and 4 respectively, I had to add momentary toggles and LED indicators to the New Haven control panel.  I didn't want to redo the entire panel face and re-drill all the holes.  So I printed the extra graphics on an Avery label, added it to the existing graphic overlay and drilled the new holes.  I also added a bridge rectifier to my main bus power LED indicator.  It still took a couple of hours, but it was no additional cost and many hours less time and effort than redoing the panel face.

As with the other turnouts, the LEDs will be wired when the Tam Valley controllers are installed.  Still waiting on the thin dental cutting wheels to cut the frog gaps in my first scratchbuilt trackage, plus free time remains at a minimum, so I was happy to get this bit out of the way.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
I am back with photographs of progress on this week's model projects - no ATSF engines this time.   :facepalm:

First up:  Archer rivet decals applied to the ends of my three Provincial Museum display coaches:

Next up:  cable car BCOL 6504 is now assembled and ready for paint.  Details added include door hardware, end electrical connections, brake equipment, grab irons, ladders, sill steps, and roof vent pipe.  I have yet to cut out window glass for the side windows.

With the cable car built, it was time to move on to the next car to be built which is panel track car BCOL 6510.  Here is a prototype photograph:

It appears to be a cut down 52'-8" IL bulkhead flatcar, but the bulkhead construction, side sill arrangement and jacking pads do not match any of the BCR cars.  I had planned to convert this car from a Kaslo Shops bulkhead flatcar kit, but after realizing the various structural differences I elected to undertake a full scratchbuild.  Here is the underframe with bolsters, centre sills and cross-members, the end and side sills, the deck, and the bulkheads so far:

That is it for this week - thanks for looking,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
Silicon Valley Free-moN is rockin' in the old Ford plant in Richmond, CA this weekend:

More photos (of both trains and Asshats!) in the Layout Engineering thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28047.msg352755#new

Happy New Year!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
I added details and painted my ACY 3900 single sheathed box car castings.  Many flaws become apparent under the bright lights.  Certainly not a contest piece but it looks OK under layout viewing conditions and not bad for a first attempt I think.  Chalk it up to the learning process and to making the next model better.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
With snow on the ground yesterday, I wanted to go try out the new 55-250 lens I got for Christmas.

It was originally just going to be a casual day. Pop over to Martin State airport for a little bit, shoot a few Amtrak fish in that barrel, then head home before my parts started freezing off. Was.

I sent a message to a buddy of mine to see if he was up for going (since he lives nearby), and while he declined, he pointed out that there were a pair of 80macs on an NS 590 coal train headed for town. A chance to see some 80macs (even if they're NS black) in the snow? Maybe I didn't need those parts after all...

I didn't know when they were supposed to show up, so I quickly made my way over to the station in time to catch a few Amtrak trains.

I was starting to be impressed with my new piece of hardware, and apparently, so were the screeners at Railpictures.net: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464962

I loved the snow squall they kicked up as they sped along.

I'm guessing the better aerodynamics of the Acela meant less snow kicked up.

And, even though it's side lit, I actually really like the drama of shooting northbounds at this location.

After my few Amtrak shots, I waited. And waited. And waited. I could hear them talking on the radio, but it wasn't clear what was going on. Turns out that the switches at the infamous Gunpowder interlocking (coincidentally, the site of the deadly Chase wreck 27 years ago) weren't locking up right, and so the southbound coal train was delayed there for a while. Long enough to make the crew dead on the law as soon as they got the train through it.

I was hoping they'd pull up to the station for the recrew, or stop at one of the more accessible locations, but they didn't. There was a dicey looking dirt road, behind an open gate, that could've gotten me there, but instead I went for coffee and something to eat while I waited for the new crew to show up.  NS was on their game though and they had Ratzenberger on their way before the train was stopped. This resulted in a surprisingly minimal delay.

They finally got the show back on the road, and the train popped into view. This is where that 250mm of zoom (actually 375mm when you add in the 1.5 crop factor from my Rebel) really came in handy. Somehow I also squeeked this one into Railpictures.net: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464963

Big Macs:

That wasn't it for the day though. I knew he'd be heading for the Consol Coal terminal in Canton, so I hopped in the car and drove down there to beat him. One of the best things about going down to the Boston St crossing is that there are three railroads that work there, and I've had good luck catching at least one of them every time I've gone. This time there was a Canton RR job going about its business.

Eventually 590 showed up with some sort of maintainermobile, or car inspector, to meet it.

I think this may be my favorite shot from the day.

But this one also got into Railpictures.net: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464964. I think because it had both the steak and the sizzle.

Not bad for a casual day out to try out some new hardware.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
Thanks to the great SD70M-2 conversion kit by Trainworx here's the start of CN 8918.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
Very nice -2.  I found the Trainworx kit nicely done but you have taken it to the next level with the lights.

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
Not really new, but more seeing if the old stuff has aged well or not.  Contemplating (if I get back into trains) maybe going another route, dumping the VARR for somethign new maybe...

Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....