Author Topic: N Scale Hobby Shop in Addison, Texas?  (Read 1444 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
N Scale Hobby Shop in Addison, Texas?
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Isn't there a big N scale hobby shop in Addison, Texas? "Discount Trains" or something like that?

I thought I asked this question here last year, but I did a search and came up empty.

Hmm... is Kiz moving to
North Dallas...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: N Scale Hobby Shop in Addison, Texas?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
Yes, Discount Model Trains.   

Here's some info...
http://www.addisontx.gov/repository/unmanaged_content/reports/Economic_Development/Discount%20Model%20Trains.pdf

If you have any questions let me know.   I shop there fairly frequently and know most of the guys there.   The "N-Scale Guy" is Wayne.   Ask James (owner) about his HO Santa Fe layout and you will be granted a long conversation.   :P
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
His N scale stock still beats most shops, but we locals have noticed he has let it slowly drift downward.  Let's hope he just sold a lot of it for Xmas.  Structures sections still amazing, as is locos, but rolling stock, he has quit ordering a lot extra for N scale stock.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
...and the last time I was there they didn't have any Atlas C-55 to speak of either.  But it is the best train store in Texas, I think.
Regards,
Paul

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
I worked in Addison for 10 years and used to go to DMT at least once a week. Great shop..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info. If I ever find a publisher for my books, I'm moving to Dallas to be near my daughter and my grandson.

Hmm... and what about
me...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

mionerr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
I also have a daughter and grandson in the Dallas area. But I doubt I'll move there. I prefer the weather in Colorado. And the basements.
Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
I also have a daughter and grandson in the Dallas area. But I doubt I'll move there. I prefer the weather in Colorado. And the basements.

What books did you write?

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
What books did you write?

I'll assume you were asking me the question. I've written 3 books so far (one more to go) about a wonderful human genetic mutation. The books are somewhat a science fiction comedy, although there's only a little science involved. It's mostly about how people behave when they're thrust into unexpected situations.

I've been influenced by "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series by Douglas Adams, and Kurt Vonnegut's somewhat-science-fiction novels.

Hmm... Kiz asked me to
proofread them, but he
didn't offer me enough
bananas...

"It works! It works!"

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
Thanks for all the info. If I ever find a publisher for my books, I'm moving to Dallas to be near my daughter and my grandson.

Hmm... and what about
me...?

Not to intentially derail the thread -- but is there any reason why self-publishing isn't an option?

There are some pretty awesome success stories out there for those self-publishing with the likes of Amazon, including my newest favorite author Hugh Howey.  True, there's a TON of not successful people too, but I read recently that something like 3% of self-publishing authors make over $100,000/yr.  Considering the staggering volume of sheer crap that comes forth into the market from those authors, for 3% of them to be making that kind of money is pretty darn good I think.  There's still a metric ton of luck involved, that's for sure, but I think the same luck probably comes into play in the traditional publishing role too.
-Mark

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
Not to intentially derail the thread -- but is there any reason why self-publishing isn't an option?

When I run out of agents to ask to represent me, I'll consider self publishing. Might be sooner than I think LOL.

Hmm... let Ms Dee Rayle
sell your book to the
nearest publisher...

"It works! It works!"