Author Topic: What railroad snuck up on you?  (Read 5694 times)

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
Re: What railroad snuck up on you?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
Are you picking up the Kato C&NW E unit and cars?  I am really tempted on the E unit and the 6 car set.  The 4 car set does not interest me due to the dome not being accurate.

I already have an E8 that I custom painted so don't think I need another at the moment. Wish they had done these earlier. Don't need any more cars for the "400" fleet at the moment either. Though I wish I could get an accurate observation for the "400".  DesPlaines Hobbies never found anyone to accurately tool that car. There was a pretty good brass model made by LooK Models but they went out of business before I could get ahold of one.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
CSX. I always thought of it is a second rate operation barely competing with a rather polished NS.

However, the more I've seen of it, that second rate aspect has given it a lot of character.

From the original mish-mash of paint schemes at the beginning, to the modern day goofiness of it (ever noticed that the "CSX"es on their executive F40s don't all line up? or that they still use some second gen stuff on road freights? or those insane looking SD40-2 rebuilds?) has started to endear me to it.

Plus, the fact that they're the major player here in B'more, so I see a lot of them.
https://picasaweb.google.com/103328750375507168249/BaltimoreRailfanning02
https://picasaweb.google.com/103328750375507168249/CSXQ398InBaltimore
https://picasaweb.google.com/103328750375507168249/BayviewAndCanton622012

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
B&O.

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »
Penn Central.  Visited the Philly area a bunch when I was a kid in the 70's Such a raunchy situation for a railroad, but oved all the paint outs and nothing like that green on the freight cars and basic black on the locos!
[

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
My collection is quite small by most standards, so none really "snuck up" on me.

Outside my collection of VARR equipment, I generally have RF&P (my favroite and local protoytype), Conrail (from my youth in L.I.), Penn Central (I love what others hate), Chessie System (Awww, Kitty) and an assortment of 70's era shortline per diem Boxcars (pretty pretty) and cool-logo Wood or other non-railroad company cars (pretty pretty).

I suppose I could say the VARR itself snuck up on me back when, as I never really expected it to amount to anything, yet it became all-encompassing, and a (partial) reason I abandoned the hobby in frustration.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
Kind of like DRD, it is era's and not another railroad that is my problem.  I currently have equipment for 1950's Erie and 1970's EL, but somehow a pair of Susquehanna B40-8's snuck into the train room.  I fear it has opened the door for CR and NS trains rolling along the Southern Tier...

Ummm, purchasing two NS Heritage Units doesn't count does it?  :facepalm:

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Northern Pacific, Great Northern, Iowa Intersate, Montana Rail Link, and especially Penn Central!

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »
I decided to model New Orleans with my fictitious Kisatchie, Gulf & Northern, and the railroads that served New Orleans in 1971: Southern, and L&N, and Missouri Pacific, and Illinois Central, And Kansas City Southern, and Union Pacific, and Southern Pacific, and some others....

The railroads didn't sneak up on me, they mobbed me.

Hmm... I found Kiz lying
all beat up in a corner...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
 :|             No railroads have sneaked up on me. I love em all, current roads, fallen flags, short lines, long lines, large lines, narrow gauge, standard gauge, broad gauge, all the worlds railways, wish I had a Bryer Garrett in N. As Robert 3985 can testify I have way too much of everything, someday (well maybe) I will fill up flea bay with for sale models whose paint schemes I love sometimes obscure companies I never thought would be modeled. That is why I own pairs of Life Like E-8 diesels in all the cool late 40's into the 60"s era paint schemes even though they have a poor Klunky nose shape. Then as a passenger train Fanzee, Nut, Buff I have tried to have trains, even semi foob ones that they could pull. I like Skytop wish I had discovered "Look Models" sooner, yes a C.& N.W. 400 obs car with it's built in airfoil spoiler would have been cool, also the Seaboard / SCL sun lounge car, even if it was modeled as the current private car version. I did manage to buy two cars, but missed the Pacific Surfliner cars and loco,'Wa-a-a". Too bad. Happy News Years. Nate Goodman (Nato).

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
As a dedicated Milwaukee Road modeler, most people would be surprised to know that I have quite a bit of C&NW equipment as well. I didn't plan it that way. I like to model prototype passenger trains and it was hard to resist the fine "400" kits by DesPlaines Hobbies. The more research I did, the more kits I built and the more kits I built the more research I did. The proverbial vicious circle until I had several C&NW trains. Like the thread says, it all kind of snuck up on me and I'm glad it did.

The Milwaukee and the CNW were closely related, not only as connections but we often turned the CNW power in Green Bay on our wye. I worked in Milwaukee and CNW and Milw power were side by side in Mitchell yard. I also have a selection of CNW equipment. In addition I have a SOO 4-8-2, a SOO 4-6-2 and some generic SOO passenger cars. Someday I'll model the Laker. All through Waukesha the CNW ,Milwaukee, SOO were all in close proximity.. one other thing.. the TMER&L was also close by until 1951, in fact the TMER&L was the SOO passenger connection to Milwaukee from the Broadway station (still there) in Waukesha.

As a dedicated Milwaukee modeler I chose to model (some of) the Milwaukee's connecting railroads as well. I could even do the TMER&L connection at Powerton Jct.  A destination for coal trains anyhow.  Or how about the CNS&M interchange at Racine on the Southwestern along with Ryan tower? Lots of possibility's for car destinations, my ribside boxcar fleet is growing, I need places to send them all.

Randy

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
I have come to the realization that I am a collector... which by definition must be true as I've no layout. as such, everything is 'creeping' up, but BN, Chessie, Conrail, D&RGW, PC, SP, SSW and WP in particular. Some of this is intentional, and some of it is the fault of certain manufacturers bringing out nice equipment that is too tempting.

scaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »

German prototypes also had my attention, and living there last autumn really reinforced my interest.  I went to several shows in Berlin and became particularly interested in TT scale, which is popular in eastern Germany and is a nice scale to work with, but I resisted!

Can you resist these? http://sazmodel.myshopify.com/collections/locomotives

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
Always secretly loved the following

1.  the MKT ..purely for its yellow and green color diesel paint scheme.   

2    1980s british railways 'blue period' diesel and electric locomotives.  That's more nostalgia from having grown lived in the UK during the 1980s.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
Illinois Central, Penn Central(Peoria & Eastern), Chicago & Northwestern, Soo Line, Columbus & Greenville, Milwaukee Road,
Illinois Terminal, Illinois Central Gulf, Soo/Milwaukee, Wisconsin Central, Minnesota Commercial, Progressive Rail, Wisconsin Northern, Kansas & Oklahoma, and Watco since I've worked for them all and collected at least an N scale, car or usually an engine and caboose for each one. However, what I model is a generic shortline which combines a bit of the best of most roads and leaves the worst behind.

Barry 

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
Illinois Central, Penn Central(Peoria & Eastern), Chicago & Northwestern, Soo Line, Columbus & Greenville, Milwaukee Road,
Illinois Terminal, Illinois Central Gulf, Soo/Milwaukee, Wisconsin Central, Minnesota Commercial, Progressive Rail, Wisconsin Northern, Kansas & Oklahoma, and Watco since I've worked for them all and collected at least an N scale, car or usually an engine and caboose for each one. However, what I model is a generic shortline which combines a bit of the best of most roads and leaves the worst behind.

Barry
Good chance we know or know of each other

Randy Stahl