Author Topic: Bachmann Stock Decoder programming??  (Read 6866 times)

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Bachmann Stock Decoder programming??
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
Using my NCE Powercab on the Programming Track mode, I've tried to alter motor voltage settings, and it shows up as changed, but the locos still seem to run at stock speeds.
Don't have this issue with other decoders (DZ125, etc.), so was wondering if there was a trick to the Bmann stock decoders or ???
Thanks.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +63
Re: Bachmann Stock Decoder programming??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
You need a ballast bulb on the programming track or program it on the main in Ops mode. I keep an old split frame Spectrum F-Unit on the programming track, the lightbulb creates the ballast.

The S.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Bachmann stock decoders don't support much in the way of motor control. Most DCC units will read good when a CV is written to that doesn't exist in the decoder. Makes you think it wrote the value when in fact the CV doesn't exist in the decoder.
Here's a link to Bachmann's basic decoder manual. Not much in there.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Martin Myers

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Bachmann stock decoders don't support much in the way of motor control. Most DCC units will read good when a CV is written to that doesn't exist in the decoder. Makes you think it wrote the value when in fact the CV doesn't exist in the decoder.
Here's a link to Bachmann's basic decoder manual. Not much in there.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Martin Myers

Martins right I was thinking momentum not start voltage.

Tim

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
Reading the Bachmann's manual, their decoder does include the "starting voltage" CV but not Vmid or Vmax CVs.   SO you can only mess around with the starting voltage (can't set the maximum speed to less than the full voltage).
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »
 Dredging up this old post ....... I can't seem to be able to alter the start voltage of stock Bachmann decoders . Specifically the 2-8-0 and the 2-6-6-2 . On my PowerCab the 2-6-6-2 doesent start moving untill speed step 8 and the 2-8-0 won't move till step 17 !!!  No matter what value I put in to CV 2 I can't seem to change anything . Both locos run smooth otherwise . Am I overlooking something ?  I tried programming on the Main and on the programming track and neither make a difference .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »
Have you tried actually verifying the setting by reading the contents of that CV on the programming track?

Also, from the manual, CV1 only supports values of 0-31 (decimal) with the default setting of 10 (decimal).  These are really low-end decoders.

EDIT: you are talking about the basic Bachmann decoder (not the Soundtraxx decoder), right?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:25:22 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »
 Yea it's the stock b man decoder . CV 1 is address right ?   Trying to adjust CV 2 for start voltage . Doesn't matter what value I enter( tried 0 , 10 , 20 , and 30 ) it still starts moving at step 7 on the NCE controller .  I have some locos with Digitrax decoders that I installed and they work perfectly , start on step 1 . I know the Bachmann decoders are stripped down POS , but I should be able to adjust the start voltage to get them to start at step 1 , right ?  I even did a factory reset ( CV 8 to 8 )  and it made no difference.  I know the programming is taking , I can read back the values I input .  Also I can adjust the accel and decel just fine . Got me stumped . Really would hate to have to mess with changing out the decoders for digitrax ones as these work just fine except for this problem. 

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
Mike, few posts back I posted a link to a complete instruction manual for that decoder (all 2 pages of it). I answered your last question by looking into that manual.  You might want to read through it. It will answer your questions as to what CV is what. The CV8 reset is on Digitrax decoders (not a universal reset sequence).
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
The CV8 reset is on Digitrax decoders (not a universal reset sequence).

Bachmann also uses it on at least some versions.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/44913_Decoder_IS.pdf

Interesting to note that your document doesn't list starting voltage as a 'feature' (the only difference in the list) even though it lists the CV for it. 

Jason

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
I didn't realize there were 2 versions of Bachmann basic decoder. Or more likely 2 versions of the manual for the same decoder.  :D  Maybe the CV8 thing was simply omitted on the document I found?  :|

If you noticed the version and manufacturer IDs are identical on both docs. Plus yours is a real PDF where mine is simple a bitmap scan of the printed sheet packaged into a PDF.

Another reason to stay away from these decoders: documentation.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:59:05 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
 CV 8 is the reset  (value of 8 )  at least in the decoders I have . I've seen the manual . Yes the PDF version is a bit better . OK used 31 for start voltage. locos start moving , barely , at step one. Now problem is between step 1 and step 8 for the 2-6-6-2 there is virtually no difference in speed . Same for the 2-8-0 moves at 1 barely and takes till step 15 to start picking up speed . Are these decoders just THAT bad ?

Going to play with the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 next and see if I get any different results.......

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
I don't know if those decoders are that bad (I removed them from my units before spending too much time me3ssing around with them).  In your case it might be a combination of tight mechanisms and poor decoder.  You won't know unless you either take the decoder out and try the locos in DC, or replace the decoder with another brand.

As far as factory reset goes, like I said setting of 08 in CV8 is not universal. See http://www.dccwiki.com/Decoder_reset  But it looks like Bachmann does use 08 in CV 8.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »
  Don't think these locos are "tight" they both have quite a bit of run time on them . I got the PowerCab a few months ago and am just getting around to fine tuning my locos . I had a Command 2000 for years and the loco control was a bit different with that system . I am thinking it has something to do with the motors now . I just tuned up my 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 (Bachmann also) and they run just about perfectly .  Same decoder BUT different type of motors .  :?  Not sure I want to change decoders , but my anal nature may dictate otherwise ,LOL . Is it a fairly easy swap ?