Author Topic: Missouri Pacific Arkansas Division, Hoxie Sub-Jacksonville Industrial Park  (Read 9092 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Missouri Pacific Arkansas Division, Hoxie Sub-Jacksonville Industrial Park
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
The track across the center is not so much for turning trains as it is to provide classic "out-and-back" operations. A wye would not offer the same option.

So I guess this bit the dust? It was a more interesting-looking plan, IMO, and IIRC it was partially built.

Sadly yes...Mrs. didn't like benchwork spanning the window, and until we build a train room with a house attached I have to take her concerns into account. Now that you've ventured into the thread though, if you have something in your layout bag o' tricks that you think would work in this space you know I'd be all eyes/ears!! I am basing the 40x82 off your Tincup and Fire Mountain line (loosely) and added the west and east staging on the 24x60 L. The 24x96 is future (possibly spring time if all goes well) so I'm not doing too much planning with that just yet.

The only caveat with the out and back is I'd have to finance a reverse control for the digitrax system to control the return. Not a huge thing but it isn't in the budget right now...so might take it out with the thought of adding it in the future when I can pick up a reversing control.

I've got c80 track on the 40x82 right now, not glued down just connected and running the Eagle passenger train to see how it looks. Pretty smooth so far. Have to pickup some turnouts to start building the staging areas (hopefully today or this weekend).

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
I did start a facebook page/blog for this project. Is it allowed to put the link in the thread for anyone that wants to visit it?

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
Michael,

Do the 3 industries above the road stay as a spur when the return loop goes away?  With your location some kind of hills would be good.  A small town would give the workers for your industries somewhere to live and spend their wages.  A small park or lake could fit in too.  Maybe some access roads to your industries?  Since it looks like you are using a design program of some sort you could print your layout on a sheet of paper and do some hand sketching.  Then you also have that nice future expansion area.   Have you considered a house for your engineer?  I would want to have one of those!

Happy modeling,
Bob

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Michael,

Do the 3 industries above the road stay as a spur when the return loop goes away?  With your location some kind of hills would be good.  A small town would give the workers for your industries somewhere to live and spend their wages.  A small park or lake could fit in too.  Maybe some access roads to your industries?  Since it looks like you are using a design program of some sort you could print your layout on a sheet of paper and do some hand sketching.  Then you also have that nice future expansion area.   Have you considered a house for your engineer?  I would want to have one of those!

Happy modeling,
Bob

Bob the industries will stay above the road yes, but will be closer to the bottom than before. I have a lunch date but this afternoon will post another plan with the latest adjustments. A hill ridge with some housing is a great idea and can be used to separate the two sides of the module instead of a fabricated view block (foam, masonite, etc).

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
Well, so what happened to this one? IIRC, it was also under construction. Looks like it's based on the same benchwork. Also looks more interesting than the Tin Cup adaptation...

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
This last one looks like it will have a lot of operations interest and will fit the space.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »
Yeah, I really think that last one has more efficient design with easements and no S turns.  The operational possibilities are awesome.
It borders spaghetti but it can be pulled off easily.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
I could probably adapt that last one with the way the benchwork is setup now with little changes. Would probably take the over/under away as there are no over/unders on the prototype (NO, I'm not following prototypical exactly, but want to be somewhat close).

Let me see what I'd have to change up and if I can keep the two staging areas (east and west).

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Well, so what happened to this one? IIRC, it was also under construction. Looks like it's based on the same benchwork. Also looks more interesting than the Tin Cup adaptation...

A lot of starts and stops in the last couple years...plus some light house remodeling necessitated taking stuff out and in some rooms for awhile...train/hobby/office included...

I do still like this plan though, but I think I would want to take away the L industries for the second staging tracks.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
Ok, I'm going with the consensus and going to the last plan that David linked, but I am going to take off the row of industries for now and keep the Bald Knob staging (east end) for now. I think I'll have some room to add a couple of industries in Bald Knob. I'll also be able to eek out 18" and 16" curves for the outer and inner mainlines which will be good.

David thanks for putting that layout back in the mix!

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
A question before I get going any further. I currently have 1-1/2" of blue extruded foam as a base for the layout. Should I put another layer or two on that to give some more depth for ground undulations, a creek or small river, etc.? One more layer would give me 2-1/4" of base (I know many use a 2" base for layouts), and two layers would give 3" of base.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
I am imagining your landscape to be quite hilly, so I would err on the side of extra foam to give you flexibility.  Nothing makes for a more realistic scene than lots of vertical irregularity, IMHO.  Plane-table flat does not exist in many places, if at all.  Even constructed yards and mainlines have lots of minor variations, although I would limit my landscaping to non-track areas for reliability.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Ok, I'm going with the consensus and going to the last plan that David linked, but I am going to take off the row of industries for now and keep the Bald Knob staging (east end) for now. I think I'll have some room to add a couple of industries in Bald Knob. I'll also be able to eek out 18" and 16" curves for the outer and inner mainlines which will be good.

David thanks for putting that layout back in the mix!

Michael, I'm not sure you need to remove the row of industries (north of the road).  Why not simply reorient them so that the approach track is parallel to the staging tracks?  It would mean you need a track crossing in there, but that's not a big deal. 

That would enable you to add a couple more staging tracks south of the road so that you could have both east and west staging right there... i.e. south of the road.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »
I got both mainlines temporarily connected and put a couple small trains on to test out the loops. I'm figuring if they run ok with the track loose then they'll run fairly well when the roadbed is installed the track is glued down. Ran for about five minutes and they did very well, no hiccups.

FA1 #325 and GP18 #4815 on the Hoxie Sub near Jacksonville.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
Michael, I'm not sure you need to remove the row of industries (north of the road).  Why not simply reorient them so that the approach track is parallel to the staging tracks?  It would mean you need a track crossing in there, but that's not a big deal. 

That would enable you to add a couple more staging tracks south of the road so that you could have both east and west staging right there... i.e. south of the road.

Michael, I'll look at it when I start installing the staging tracks. It's true I might be able to reorient things to keep them, and use the last two tracks (where the turnout is) to continue along the back wall (future expansion). I might consider installing the next module anyway so I can push the staging down further and lengthen the distance from staging to the continuous loops. I'll have to dig into the shed and see if I disassembled that module or if it's still together.