Author Topic: Code 55 fasttracks turnouts with Atlas code 55 flextrack  (Read 5602 times)

Ken Rice

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Rice's Rails
Re: Code 55 fasttracks turnouts with Atlas code 55 flextrack
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
I use the liquid, and apply it with a microbrush.
I got the 8oz bottle 5 years ago and, after building many many turnouts and using it for other soldering jobs, still have 1/3 left (with some of the "used" spilled by a fellow Free-moNster  :facepalm: )
So that's why I recommend the 4oz bottle.
Better size for the microbrush to reach the flux, too.
No experience with the gel.

Robert would probably know about the gel.
Surprised too haven't heard from him yet.

OK, I'll get the 4 oz bottle, and using the savings to justify getting a 4 oz gel bottle too.  I see they also recommend solid solder (not rosin core), so I need to get some of that too.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
Gel eventually becomes a liquid anyway (that do advise about that fact).  I bought gel and it is now liquid (even new, it was very fluid gel).

I tried this stuff but I just couldn't change my old habits.  I'm so used to using alcohol or acetone for washing the regular rosin flux I have been using since the first time I picked up the soldering iron.  This stuff has to be rinsed with water.  That just didn't work for me. 

As far as the size goes, get the smallest one. In case you don't like it, you can just toss it. If you do like it, the small bottle will still last a long time (unless you use it as paint).  It is supposed to be used sparingly.  :)

I think the recommendation about using solid core solder is so you don't mix the flux chemistry (since one is water soluble the other not).
. . . 42 . . .

Ken Rice

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Rice's Rails
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
Gel eventually becomes a liquid anyway (that do advise about that fact).  I bought gel and it is now liquid (even new, it was very fluid gel).
As far as the size goes, get the smallest one. In case you don't like it, you can just toss it. If you do like it, the small bottle will still last a long time (unless you use it as paint).  It is supposed to be used sparingly.  :)

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that tidbit on their site.  Makes even more sense to get the smallest bottle for the gel I guess.

I think the recommendation about using solid core solder is so you don't mix the flux chemistry (since one is water soluble the other not).

Makes sense.

I tried this stuff but I just couldn't change my old habits.  I'm so used to using alcohol or acetone for washing the regular rosin flux I have been using since the first time I picked up the soldering iron.  This stuff has to be rinsed with water.  That just didn't work for me.

I know what you're saying.  But I'm kind of eager to try it - water seems easier and more readily available than alcohol or acetone.  The alcohol in my little spring loaded cleaning reservoir bottle is always evaporating, seems like half the alcohol I guy evaporates instead of getting used.  A good solid water rinse is just one flight of stairs up to the kitchen.  Seems better, now, before I've tried it anyway  :)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »

I know what you're saying.  But I'm kind of eager to try it - water seems easier and more readily available than alcohol or acetone.  The alcohol in my little spring loaded cleaning reservoir bottle is always evaporating, seems like half the alcohol I guy evaporates instead of getting used.  A good solid water rinse is just one flight of stairs up to the kitchen.  Seems better, now, before I've tried it anyway  :)

I mainly solder very small electronic components and circuit board.  Track - not so much.  To me it is easier to use alcohol on those very small parts. The fast evaporation rate of alcohol is a good thing for me. I suppose if I was soldering a turnout dunking it in water to rinse the flux off wouldn't be bad at all. 
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
The key is to make sure the layout fits under the sink  ;)

Most trackwork I spray with brake parts cleaner and then scrub with dishsoap and a brush. Maybe overkill, but none of my track has turned green yet.

Also I tried the super flux and silver solder that Robert always talked about and couldn't get a joint anywhere near as nice as what I've been getting with paste from Home Depot and cored solder.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
Which paste from HD?

And, for what it's worth, after soldering turnouts I still take them to the sink and wash them.
I just do it before I mount them on the layout  :P

Now that I think about it, I've never actually looked at what solder I use.
It's always been "the one on the workbench."
Hmmm....
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Which paste from HD?

Probably the stuff made for sweating copper pipe connections.  You know, used by plumbers. :|
. . . 42 . . .