Author Topic: A working RPO in N-Scale  (Read 11807 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: A working RPO in N-Scale
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
My beef with the memory wire and the servos is the speed. The solenoid is nearly instantaneous, but the servo takes time and while I'm not 100% sure on the speed of the memory wire in its change of length it also doesn't make much sense to me as to how it works.

To me the slower speed is a bonus rather tna a bad thing.  After all, do you want your fine N scale model to look like a toyish tinplate O scale train with loudly-snapping solenoid, or like a true-scale model with realistic animation?  :P

As far as making sense, do you have to know exactly hove everything around you works?   :trollface:  If you want to learn more about memory wire, there is plenty information out there on the Interwebs.  Here is a start.
. . . 42 . . .

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 04:43:43 PM »
To me the slower speed is a bonus rather tna a bad thing.  After all, do you want your fine N scale model to look like a toyish tinplate O scale train with loudly-snapping solenoid, or like a true-scale model with realistic animation?  :P

As far as making sense, do you have to know exactly hove everything around you works?   :trollface:  If you want to learn more about memory wire, there is plenty information out there on the Interwebs.  Here is a start.

In this instance I can sacrifice fine-scale for reliable operation. Afterall, the objective is for my RPO to catch a mail bag on the fly and to toss one out as well.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
What were the unforeseen circumstances?

$
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »

$

Actually, no. Money had nothing to do with it.
Tired.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
All I can say about the FM Flatcars, as far as Camden & Amboy Models is concerned, unforeseen circumstances have resulted in us halting all work on the project and as such we are looking at pursuing other possibilities.
But with that being said, our next project will still be a class of PRR rolling stock.

Honestly, this doesn't make me especially enthusiastic about Camden and Amboy models.  So far the one product I have seen is business cards.   :|

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
Honestly, this doesn't make me especially enthusiastic about Camden and Amboy models.  So far the one product I have seen is business cards.   :|

It hasn't exactly made me feel enthusiastic either, but such is life. Just means that my partners and myself will need to regroup our effort on a new project.
To make a long story short and without quite giving anything away, it was a matter of either step aside and take a different direction, or continue on and offer a product that would be in direct competition with another small manufacturer's product.

I knew that this would ultimately kill most of, if not all, the possible enthusiasm/support of the community given the fact that it's my own name and face that is more or less the "image" of the company.
And I know that I probably am not exactly well-liked within the community, and I'm sure expectations of me were low, if any, but at the end of the day I still intend on bringing an all-new N-scale PRR rolling stock kit to market even if it bankrupts me or even if it kills me.

Even if I only sell a handful of kits, I will have at least proved to the community (and to myself) that I can see something through to the end.

Tired.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 09:30:25 PM »
In this instance I can sacrifice fine-scale for reliable operation. Afterall, the objective is for my RPO to catch a mail bag on the fly and to toss one out as well.

OK then, those nano-servos are quite fast. Assuming one would fit in the N scale car.  :)

As for the FM flat cars, wasn't the reason for canceling the project given in another thread here on TRW?
. . . 42 . . .

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
OK then, those nano-servos are quite fast. Assuming one would fit in the N scale car.  :)

As for the FM flat cars, wasn't the reason for canceling the project given in another thread here on TRW?

I'll have to look into those servos. Not a lot of room to work with inside the RPO, but we shall see what can be done to shoehorn something else in.

And as best as I can recall, I haven't made public the exact reason why C&A has canceled the FM project. Although I did just give a synopsis of the reason.
I just don't want to go into too much detail since at this point it's not my story to tell.
Tired.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
It hasn't exactly made me feel enthusiastic either, but such is life.

I knew that this would ultimately kill most of, if not all, the possible enthusiasm/support of the community given the fact that it's my own name and face that is more or less the "image" of the company.
And I know that I probably am not exactly well-liked within the community, and I'm sure expectations of me were low, if any, but at the end of the day I still intend on bringing an all-new N-scale PRR rolling stock kit to market even if it bankrupts me or even if it kills me.

Even if I only sell a handful of kits, I will have at least proved to the community (and to myself) that I can see something through to the end.

If you do want to instill faith in your potential customer base, this sort of language isn't the way to go about it.   :|
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:54:10 PM by Dave Vollmer »

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
If you do want to instill faith in your potential customer base, this sort of language isn't the way to go about it.   :|

It might just be because of my upbringing, but I always thought that when someone lays it all out, and is aware to some degree of where they stand, that it was a good thing.

In short, it'll take a lot more than having to cancel my beloved FM project to discourage me. I've a few other ideas of various PRR rolling stock types that I'm keen to look into. Just a matter of deciding which has the most potential while also having enough accessible information to where the project can actually be carried out and produced.
Tired.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 11:40:17 PM »
Personally, I'll file this idea in the "Meh" category.  Since one probably couldn't represent the soft mass of a mail bag that would make it a thing of beauty to watch fly or to be snagged in motion, it doesn't get me where I shouldn't be gotten.  That, and I won't need pill-sized projectiles blinding any onlookers or further provoking layout-friendly felines.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
In short, it'll take a lot more than having to cancel my beloved FM project to discourage me. I've a few other ideas of various PRR rolling stock types that I'm keen to look into. Just a matter of deciding which has the most potential while also having enough accessible information to where the project can actually be carried out and produced.

If your looking for idea an X23 and variants could be good sellers.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »
+2
having to cancel my beloved FM project to discourage me. I've a few other ideas of various PRR rolling stock types that I'm keen to look into.

I have spoken to Camden and Amboy about the FM. I am sorry that they are not able to continue with the project, so we have started to tool this up for casting in metal with wooden laser cut deck and etched grabs etc..

We do not have a launch date yet, but I keep folks interested posted. Any views etc. - please let me know. Both versions of the FM will be available, you can see the container bunks in the drawing.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:09:01 PM by prbharris »

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
+1
I have spoken to Camden and Amboy about the FM. I am sorry that they are not able to continue with the project, so we have started to tool this up for casting in metal with wooden laser cut deck and etched grabs etc..

We do not have a launch date yet, but I keep folks interested posted. Any views etc. - please let me know. Both versions of the FM will be available, you can see the container bunks in the drawing.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Excellent @prbharris . Excited to see this project moving forward as I'll be a buyer of multiple cars. Will decals be provided? And a special shout out to @chicken45 for doing all that scratch building to ensure that this project was a go.  :P  :D
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Excellent!  For flat cars metal is probably better than resin or 3-D printing anyway given the weight.  Sweet!