Author Topic: For SPFs: GHB just announced an L1 in brass  (Read 6783 times)

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
Re: For SPFs: GHB just announced an L1 in brass
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
Very true.  For me, though, the spotting features are the Belpaire, cab, and low-slung boiler and that Pennsy smokebox face along with the tender.  I'm not as attuned to the valve gear.  To me, anyway, it's a small price to pay for a smooth-running stump puller.

The GHQ kit is one of the more viable options for Pennsy steam.  Curious as to why the L1 was picked for this foray versus the Locomotive Whose Classification We Dare Not Speak, or perhaps an I1s.

Yeah. Where the hell are all the hippos? When I think Pennsy steam, I typically think K4, I1s, T1, M1a/b, in that order.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
So, how does one go about reserving one of these things?

Just send an email to GHB, that worked for me (address mentioned in first message of this thread). Hopefully it will sell well. Can't wait for more PRR steam like I1, G5, etc. (we have enough of those well known Pennsy locomotives :) )

Marc

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »
Just send an email to GHB, that worked for me (address mentioned in first message of this thread). Hopefully it will sell well. Can't wait for more PRR steam like I1, G5, etc. (we have enough of those well known Pennsy locomotives :) )

Marc

I sent him an email and also asked about a ballpark on a price. I was told "if you have to ask..."
I was a bit put off by this. A $600 loco is not a Rolls Royce Wraith. Furthermore, even if I were swimming in mad bank in me money bin, I'd still want to know how much things are.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
I was told "if you have to ask..."

WOW, with an attitude like that, this thing better run like a Kato or it's/he's going to get ripped a new one.
I think I'm going to sit on the sideline and see how this plays out... And who was the guy asking for this loco?  :?
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
I sent him an email and also asked about a ballpark on a price. I was told "if you have to ask..."
I was a bit put off by this. A $600 loco is not a Rolls Royce Wraith. Furthermore, even if I were swimming in mad bank in me money bin, I'd still want to know how much things are.

Damn, really?   :facepalm:

THAT does not bode well, either for the price or the expected customer support.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Um, IIRC, I paid around $600 for a brass Key NYC Dreyfus Hudson in the mid 90s. I would expect that the N scale brass prices have gone up dramatically since then. I would expect more like at least $800-900.

Plus, this loco seems to have lots of additional features not included in my $600 loco.
. . . 42 . . .

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
I'm with Peteski. I cannot see a Brass Steam Loco with all these features coming through the door for $600.00. The last Overland brass diesels were in that price range and as I recall the Little Joe's were around $800.00.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:31 PM »
He did say it was just an estimate for the price, so keep that in mind.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Damn, really?   :facepalm:

THAT does not bode well, either for the price or the expected customer support.

It's entirely possibly I misunderstood his tone so I  (and hope others) will at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
I have bought multiple brass engines from George Barsky of GHB and found him to be nothing but great to work with.  One of my engines had an issue and George was more than attentive to make sure I was satisfied before he "closed the case."

The engines I bought from him were not any of his own products, but something he happened to have access to so I cannot attest to the quality of his own imports, but from what I have experience with him quality, customer satisfaction and keeping the price as low as possible is top priority.  N Sale brass imports are getting so rare and the number of brass manufacturers is dwindling so quick, any new n scale brass is going to be higher than in the past.

Gorge made mention of this project in passing conversation to me, he has been working on it for several years now and I know he was very conscious on trying to keep the price low enough hat he'd be able to sell enough engines to make the minimum production requirements set by the mfgs.  I got the impression he was doing this more out of his own interest in the engine and that he's not out cashing in huge profits at others expense.

Based on the prices he gave me on the engines I bought, I doubt there was much profit margin there either.

I a nutshell, I cannot testify to how GHB's imports are, but the man behind them has been nothing but honest and straight forward to me.

Phillip

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »
Damn... Why 2014... I have a vacation to the UK to pay for, and possibly a Drivers Experience at the Talyllyn Railway while I am over there. That's 3k right out of the gate.

Maybe I need a second job...

-Cody F.

Good idea.  How long would it take to earn 700 bucks delivering pizza?  Or shoveling driveways when it snows? 

When OMI released their GTEL Turbines, I was broke, but...I managed to trade model railroad work from my model railroad buddies who had money, but no time to do something like assemble 40 IMR 50' UP boxcars, apply Plano running boards and individually number each car...oh...and paint the trucks aluminum.  I got three of 'em horse trading, so it's just a matter of how well you can sell yourself and your work, or just deliver pizzas, or shovel snow, or tutor, or walk dogs, or....you get the message.

Don't give up hope.  A doorway to getting what you want happens if you keep yourself open and the goal in mind...and you're willing to work.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
Good idea.  How long would it take to earn 700 bucks delivering pizza?  Or shoveling driveways when it snows? 

When OMI released their GTEL Turbines, I was broke, but...I managed to trade model railroad work from my model railroad buddies who had money, but no time to do something like assemble 40 IMR 50' UP boxcars, apply Plano running boards and individually number each car...oh...and paint the trucks aluminum.  I got three of 'em horse trading, so it's just a matter of how well you can sell yourself and your work, or just deliver pizzas, or shovel snow, or tutor, or walk dogs, or....you get the message.

Don't give up hope.  A doorway to getting what you want happens if you keep yourself open and the goal in mind...and you're willing to work.

We'll see how my grades look at the end of the semester to see if I can handle two jobs, let alone be allowed...
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »
I have bought multiple brass engines from George Barsky of GHB and found him to be nothing but great to work with.  One of my engines had an issue and George was more than attentive to make sure I was satisfied before he "closed the case."

The engines I bought from him were not any of his own products, but something he happened to have access to so I cannot attest to the quality of his own imports, but from what I have experience with him quality, customer satisfaction and keeping the price as low as possible is top priority.  N Sale brass imports are getting so rare and the number of brass manufacturers is dwindling so quick, any new n scale brass is going to be higher than in the past.

Gorge made mention of this project in passing conversation to me, he has been working on it for several years now and I know he was very conscious on trying to keep the price low enough hat he'd be able to sell enough engines to make the minimum production requirements set by the mfgs.  I got the impression he was doing this more out of his own interest in the engine and that he's not out cashing in huge profits at others expense.

Based on the prices he gave me on the engines I bought, I doubt there was much profit margin there either.

I a nutshell, I cannot testify to how GHB's imports are, but the man behind them has been nothing but honest and straight forward to me.

Phillip
Ok. That makes me feel a bit better.  If you happen to run in to him, try to convince him PayPal is the way to go.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Just called him.  He told me he estimates between $6 and 7 hundred. Is waiting for feedback from dealers to see how many they want to order.  Told me he would hold one and to follow up with an e-mail. 

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
I looked at diesel brass last winter and they were looking for $1000.  this seems like a good deal if the pilot samples are good.