Author Topic: 125' Harbor Cruise Ship Now Available  (Read 5959 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
125' Harbor Cruise Ship Now Available
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »
The Port Welcome sailed Baltimore harbor for many years.

The main and 01 decks are see-through, as is the pilot house! Add your own interior details, from tables and chairs, to the concession stand, to lots of people. I'm proud of the techniques I've developed to be able to do this.

Here's a view of the starboard bow. What a handsome ship!

Yes, those are Z scale railings, stairways, and life rafts, along with custom built davits, and a cast resin stack. Sorry the railings got bent a little--this is the first production model, so it got handled a little roughly over time, and I just didn't notice. The brass is easy to fix. It's also a little heavier than normal, in order to take some abuse on your layout.

Here's the starboard stern view:

Those are custom lifeboats and dinghy, hot out of my molds. Notice the stack has a real nice hollow shield on the top, which I manufactured from many layers of styrene, each reduced incrementally by the computer.

Here's a portside view.

The kit will be $125, plus the cost of anchors and searchlights (maybe $10, yuck, but they cost what they cost), plus $10 shipping in the US. Built ups will be $550.

I will accept orders starting now. This will be up on my website, www.nscaleships.com, in a few days, but I do not have an ordering system on the site yet. I can accept Paypal and credit card orders. Best to contact me at peterknolan@gmail.com.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: 125' Harbor Cruise Ship Now Available
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
Nice boat, and nice start on the website.  Hope this one does well for you - it's definitely a work a day prototype that a good harbor scene should see.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »
I'm getting back to working on the website this weekend, I hope. I know I've got to start paying attention to marketing these ships and, after 45 years of doing marketing in one form or the next as my career, I should be good at it. Except I now hate it. I'll get over that, sooner rather than later.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
good, because after Mr. Wallet recovers from Bedford, he may want to discuss some boats and bits from your site.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
In getting the kit materials together, I decided to make a few changes. With suppliers of parts dropping out at an alarming rate, and the existing supplies getting more sporadic, I decided to make a few of my own Z scale details.

New details include Z scale anchors, wrap-around seating on the top deck, storage lockers, life rings, shortened lifeboats, decals, masts and staffs.

I think I'll produce 30 kits for this Fall, priced at $125, plus shipping. Built-ups will remain at $550 plus shipping.

I'm not going to have much time this Fall for built-ups of this ship, so order now if you'd like one for Christmas! I will be in Alabama from mid-October through the New Year, and will bring materials with me to assemble as many built-ups as I get orders for.

Never realized this ship passed 1,000,000 passengers somewhere early in its mid-life.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Pete-  Your Port Welcome Cruise ship is next up on my workbench.  In reading your on-line instructions I see that window glazing is to be added before the sides are attached.  Do you paint the sides first or are you just using the white of the unfinished styrene as your exterior finish?

I'm posting this here since a number of RW members bought the kit and may have the same question.

Has anyone built theirs yet?
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
I'd recommend painting the sides first. I'm not sure which may turn yellowish first, the paint or the styrene. I use Krylon white primer, then Krylon white flat. Styrene may turn a bit yellow under harsh sunlight, but then so may paint. I've got unpainted styrene boats that are almost 20 years old, and they are still white, but have not been exposed to direct sunlight. I've also got some white boxcars from various manufacturers that have turned yellowish over the years. BTW, even the prototype Port Welcome looks a little yellowish in some photos.

As I understand it, solvent-based white paint will eventually turn yellowish, and acrylics do not. But spraying acrylic whites can be a little difficult.

Painted or not, I do overspray my ships with flat acrylic clear from Krylon. That does slightly haze the acetate, which is acceptable to me, and seems to delay any yellowing..

Please let me know if you have any problems with the kit. I may not have included enough railing, and may have sent the wrong skiff. Unfortunately, that is what sometimes happens when I am working in two scales (N & Z). Any make-ups will be sent free of charge. And, if anyone messes up a part, just let me know and I'll send a replacement either free or for a nominal charge.