Author Topic: B&O Wagontop Boxcar - Double door version  (Read 12198 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: B&O Wagontop Boxcar - Double door version
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
I'm a B&O guy and I had never seen a DD wagontop until this discussion started so it was never even on my radar. I would buy maybe 1 if the quality was there. If the quality is there, I have no problem spending $20-25 on a kit. I've spent more on less. If the quality is not up to par though, it's a no go. This is a very difficult car to repair issues on. If it wasn't "clean the flashing and paint", I probably wouldn't touch it for any price.
Tony Hines

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
I'm a B&O guy and I had never seen a DD wagontop until this discussion started so it was never even on my radar. I would buy maybe 1 if the quality was there. If the quality is there, I have no problem spending $20-25 on a kit. I've spent more on less. If the quality is not up to par though, it's a no go. This is a very difficult car to repair issues on. If it wasn't "clean the flashing and paint", I probably wouldn't touch it for any price.

To be completely honest, the original plan was to take 3 FVM shells and heavily cut-and-shut the bits to as close to correct as I could get to make the master for making the rubber mold.

I was in discussions with a forum member who said he could forward the prototype blueprints to a high-quality RP company, but in our discussions there were some initial misunderstandings and after I clarified everything he basically laid it out for me that in his opinion the project wasn't worth his getting involved. In this persons words it is just "play things" since my estimated sales figures were selling maybe 30 kits at the most. He was expecting me to sell at least 200.

It would have cost $1000 for the blueprints to be turned into CAD drawings and then have three shells printed.

One of the misunderstandings being that he thought we would require 3 masters, but with my original plan only 2 masters were needed and now I have decided to nix the Finescale/Craftsman type kit. If the modeler so chooses, they can remove any cast-on details and then replace them. No sense in having two separate masters.

In reality, unless there is someone who wouldn't mind converting the prototype blueprints into a CAD drawing with the roofwalk as a separate item (to simplify casting), they could choose to either receive a kit (or two depending on how they value doing the CAD work) or monetary payment. From there I could re-approach the member with the connections and see what it would cost just to have the one master printed.

If no one steps up, the only other option is for Christian and I to attempt to take the only remaining Camden & Amboy casting (which is 2nd generation at best... possibly 3rd) and try and make the details a bit more acceptable to everyone's standards.

Those are the facts as I see them and present them to you all.
Hopefully something can come of this project and I won't have to cancel it. I'd love to be able to bring this interesting prototype into N-Scale and make it available to whomever comes across this thread and wants to buy a kit.
No contact has been put out to Micro-Trains yet in regards to sourcing the fishbelly underframes as I wanted to insure that this could be done before I start pooling the necessary materials.

-Cody Fisher
Haddon Car Shops
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »
I put zero on the poll, only because it is the wrong era for me.  If I was still modeling the C&O in the late 1960s/early 1970s, I would have been in for one or two.  But, I don't believe these cars survived into the mid-1980s, which I model now.  Prove me wrong, and I'll reconsider… and change my vote.   :)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »
I'm only interested in the craftsman kit.  However, if the details were as well done as the castings from Fine N Scale (with separate running boards & brakewheel) I'd consider the kit.  However, if you're planning on cast-on running boards, then I'm not interested.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »
I'm only interested in the craftsman kit.  However, if the details were as well done as the castings from Fine N Scale (with separate running boards & brakewheel) I'd consider the kit.  However, if you're planning on cast-on running boards, then I'm not interested.

Running-boards/roofwalks will be separate details and I am looking into purchasing brake-wheels from Micro-Trains along with the fishbelly underframes.

As an aside, the project is back on track, albeit some light stick-rail at the moment.
However, we have a full head of steam, bunker full of coal, and we've got the water scoops down for the upcoming pans.

Robert, if you are so inclined, I could file off the cast on ladders for your kit. No extra charge.

-Cody Fisher
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.