Author Topic: SP Whaleback tender in N scale ?  (Read 8395 times)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
Re: SP Whaleback tender in N scale ?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what you are doing since I need a couple of whalebacks...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what you are doing since I need a couple of whalebacks...
Well ... you welcome!
It's not a great job 'till now, but, it's my first "real" coontribution to Railwire, so, we go:
- using the original tender of a Bachmann Consolidation ... razed to ground ..
- and an Atlas Coil car ... take the top of the car (it's not glued so is simple). gently separate parts with a cutter
- provide a cut at 5th section and cut the last one (car ends)
- Then glue back, file ...
( You can note a white short section: it's a styrene square rod to better fit the tender floor.
- A top view with the weight that was inside the Coil car ( still to be cut and glued on tender floor
- Cut the 4 pins on tender floor in half ( this will permit to fit exactly the tank round shape
- and you have this:

- I've used an H styrene strip
- to make a ""foundation" for the tank and gain a little space inside ( the H strip compensate the metal weight depth, more or less)
- top view of "electronics that will be located inside : a Locksound Select decoder and a Digitraxx oval
speaker.
That's all for now, next stops are : back ladders (photoetch) , 2 supports along the tank side (styrene), the top walkway ( styrene or wood?) and rails (0,4 mm steel wire), some tool boxes ... paint & decals
On board, gents ( but I know: this train is slow, do not rush )
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:13:42 AM by babbo_enzo »

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
Enzo,
Looks good so far! Glad to see you went with a Loksound. Have you considered a Zimo 8 x 12 mm "sugar cube" speaker? Or is it a bit "tight"?
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

babbo_enzo

• Crew
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 05:10:15 AM »
..Have you considered a Zimo 8 x 12 mm "sugar cube" speaker? Or is it a bit "tight"?
Thanks Mike! I've two samples but in this particular case is "very tight"! Anyway the Digitraxx is 8 ohm and volume is "very low" so maybe I've to find a different solution. 2 in parallel? Or find a 4 ohm little one? We see.
I've install another Locksound in a Consolidation and have to say it sound good and motor drive is very smooth.
Later

PS: just see on Litchfield site taht SugarCube are available in two size: 10x15mm and 8x12. I guess I've the biggest so maybe can order some of 8x12 that can fit. Doubt is about impedance: 4 Ohm as the factory supplied OR 8 Ohm?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:20:30 AM by babbo_enzo »

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 02:46:45 AM »
Thanks Mike! I've two samples but in this particular case is "very tight"! Anyway the Digitraxx is 8 ohm and volume is "very low" so maybe I've to find a different solution. 2 in parallel? Or find a 4 ohm little one? We see.
I've install another Locksound in a Consolidation and have to say it sound good and motor drive is very smooth.
Later

PS: just see on Litchfield site taht SugarCube are available in two size: 10x15mm and 8x12. I guess I've the biggest so maybe can order some of 8x12 that can fit. Doubt is about impedance: 4 Ohm as the factory supplied OR 8 Ohm?

If I remember correctly, the Digitrax speaker doesn't come with a sound baffle.  If you don't make one, then the sound volume/quality suffers quite a bit.  Plus the speakers are just so-so quality.  You get much better sound from one of the "sugar cube" speakers, either size is fine. Just make sure you use the sound baffle that comes with the Zimo's or pry it off and make your own like JDColombo did in Making a Speaker Enclosure

The sugar cube speakers are all 8 Ohm impedance and according to the LokSound documentation, the decoders are designed for either 4 or 8 ohm impedance speakers.  So either one 8ohm or two 8ohm in parallel would be okay.

Edited to update impedance information
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:43:34 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
Digitrax speaker doesn't come with a sound baffle.  If you don't make one, then the sound volume/quality suffers quite a bit a lot!

As far as speaker impedance goes, best sound quality is obtained by using the speakers with impedance recommended by the decoder manufacturer. It will result in maximum possible volume with minimal distortion. But the speaker sensitivity (how efficiently it can convert electricity to sound vibration) also plays a big role.  Low sensitivity speaker (even if impedance is correct) will not produce very loud sound.   The "sugar cube" speakers seem to be very efficient (which means loud), especially when housed in proper enclosures.
. . . 42 . . .

babbo_enzo

• Crew
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
I just resurrect this as I don't think lot friends have interest on this, but well, FYI.... I'we just "discover"this on Shapeways... sure all you already know of it?
http://www.shapeways.com/product/KGAH8JYGF/n-scale-whaleback-tender-shell-for-bachmann-4-6-0?optionId=61265003

Anybody here have order one?
Any other (Superturbine ???) have done a cast ? is possible to buy one or more? .....

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
Thanks, Enzo!!

Great find. - I'll be picking up a couple as well as the cabs.

Thanks again,
Wolf

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »
Nice work Enzo! Perseverance pays off, thank you.  :D
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
Great, I take a few days off of work wondering if there is anything I could buy with the Shapeways sale and when I come back I see this... :facepalm:
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »
Nice!
I do wish there was a more rational way to search for scale and continent appropriate items on Shapeways....
Otto K.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
I just resurrect this as I don't think lot friends have interest on this, but well, FYI.... I'we just "discover"this on Shapeways... sure all you already know of it?
http://www.shapeways.com/product/KGAH8JYGF/n-scale-whaleback-tender-shell-for-bachmann-4-6-0?optionId=61265003

Anybody here have order one?
Any other (Superturbine ???) have done a cast ? is possible to buy one or more? .....
that's the same tender as the 2-8-0?

babbo_enzo

• Crew
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
+1
that's the same tender as the 2-8-0?
No sorry, this is the Bachmann 4-6-0 ( a Ten Wheeler)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Well, I've here the stuff from Schapeways and some notes...
- tender fit very well on the original frame, except you NEED to file or cut the internal wall.
- surface of tender (at least before primer) seems clean without the "usual" need to sanding. We se after the primer.
- The Internal wall seem to slightly pull inward the external surface ??
- Removing the original DCC board and put in place a luittle decoder or better a Select Micro for sound, seems possible without wait for the higer version)
See pictures:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've also order one cab to check:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
As you clearly see, this need a fine work of sanding and primer.
Both parts are so fine anyway..
I want to check if the cab can fit also to the 2-6-0 of Bachann and try to obtain a stand-in switcher (removing front truck - replace tender with Model Power vanderbuilt and new cab...). We see!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:51:53 PM by babbo_enzo »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
I've also order one cab to check:
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
As you clearly see, this need a fine work of sanding and primer.
Both parts are so fine anyway..
I want to check if the cab can fit also to the 2-6-0 of Bachann and try to obtain a stand-in switcher (removing front truck - replace tender with Model Power vanderbuilt and new cab...). We see!

Been wondering about that cab ever since I first found it on Shapeways.  Looking forward to seeing it cleaned and painted.