Author Topic: Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats  (Read 1492 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9027
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:09:59 PM »
0
Thanks to the needs of another TRW member, I now have a Red Caboose KCS centerbeam flat car.  It looks great, but it rides a tad high for my liking and has the wide swing truck mounted couplers.  I want to lower the ride height, and possibly add body mount couplers uging a sent of Ed and Gary's etched coupler boxes.  Searching the Archives here I couldn't find anyone who had done a similar project, but that what I think are good search terms often turn out to be . . . dead, flat, wrong.

So, before I jump off the cliff, anyone got any experiences (and pics) they want to share?  Thanks!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5306
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
0
I'm pretty sure Gary has posted this particular fix.  I can't find it either...  I must not know how to search!

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »
0

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9027
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
0
Thanks Tom - I knew it was around somewhere.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6761
  • Respect: +2638
Re: Lowering Red Caboose Centerbeam flats
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »
0
As you can see in the link, that particular conversion pre-dates the etched pockets.  By coincidence, that very car is sitting on my work bench awaiting a swap to the new pockets.  I might get to that this weekend...  These really look better with the wheel base extended too:

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=8680

-gfh

P.S. I just took shipment of 5 centerbeams from said TRW member.  He still has some left if anyone is interested.