Author Topic: ATSF semi-lightweight smoothside baggage car builds  (Read 10488 times)

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
Re: ATSF semi-lightweight smoothside baggage car builds
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
I adjusted the underframe to sit correctly within the bodyshell....it is an improvement and the roof height is correct, compared to other lightweight equipment...
I am going to continue to keep the express trucks on this one; they are accurate and help to reflect this uniqueness of this car, especially when seen within a head end consist...these cars, and others, especially heavyweight cars produced from 'brass' sides created by Roberto Martari, go a very long way in helping me model ATSF's Fast Mail. Now for a few of those converted troop sleepers to help model some NYC and Erie Express cars seen on this train.

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
Interesting info about those baggage/express trucks  - thanks for posting it!

The car does look better now that is sits lower. It still looks odd, but it is supposed to look like that. I don't know why but it reminds me of a ballerina standing on her tippy toes. Don't ask...
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »
The Micro-trains truck is close, but it's a different prototype.

It matches the trucks used under the first generation (1400 series) Amtrak MHC cars, and under some REA Express refrigerators.

The Kato truck for the 2nd generation MHC cars might be closer.

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 01:04:33 AM »
I like the effort you've expended attempting to model a very unique and specific prototype.  Kudos to you and keep up the good work!

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
The Micro-trains truck is close, but it's a different prototype.

It matches the trucks used under the first generation (1400 series) Amtrak MHC cars, and under some REA Express refrigerators.

The Kato truck for the 2nd generation MHC cars might be closer.

George

true!...but it's the closest 'looking' truck out there...i am in the process of modifying some trucks included with the car core kits to act as stand ins and see if they may work until something better is available. The Micro trains trucks need to be about 2 scale wider longer.
I'm also going to acquire a pair of the KATO trucks and examine them for possible use for these cars.
Thanks,
~Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
From looking at Spookshow's N-scale trucks site, it looks like I was wrong about the Kato truck.
It is a little big and the top frame looks wrong: 

The Athearn truck looks much closer, but you would need to remove the leaf spring, add the snubber in its place, and convert the journals to roller bearings.  The only problem is that the equalizer is inside rather than outside.

Images from www.spookshow.net

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
It is all relative.   :)  When I recommended that Kato truck, I looked at the Athearn truck too.

TO me the Athearn truck looked more wrong that Kato (because of the discrepancies you just mentioned).
. . . 42 . . .

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »
From looking at Spookshow's N-scale trucks site, it looks like I was wrong about the Kato truck.
It is a little big and the top frame looks wrong: 

The Athearn truck looks much closer, but you would need to remove the leaf spring, add the snubber in its place, and convert the journals to roller bearings.  The only problem is that the equalizer is inside rather than outside.

Images from www.spookshow.net

George

...and there's no real source for the Athearn truck...

and...ya'll are right...it is relative...concessions have to be made with any choice...
I've even tried the MT passenger trucks under the car...the ride height is even better with those trucks, but the look is Waaaaay off w/o any modification...
 I would like to use a truck that emphasizes the large, wide "U"-shaped frame w/o any extra 'bits' 'complicating' the simple look of the prototype truck...I'd settle for something that has the general 'look' and is not too large...even though the Kato truck is off in the upper structure, it still has the general shape (being an evolution of the original truck), but the size may be an issue; I won't know until I have one in hand. I'm also giving a look to the KATO 'pre-war' passenger truck

if I trim the frame 'ends' (I'm assuming these were originally supports for the original clasp brake hangers), and trim-grind the leaf spring, it may be a reasonable stand-in, depending on the size...

I appreciate the discussion-I'm certainly not the first person modelling a car for which there is no correct truck available...we're, actually, pretty fortunate these days, with all that is available!
Thanks,
~Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Yes, in N scale, often compromises have to be made.

As far as Athearn trucks (and other parts), then can be ordered from Athearn.  There is a link on their website for parts ordering. Basically you ask them for the part and they will email you with availability and price.  I have ordered those trucks in the past. They were reasonably priced.
. . . 42 . . .

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
What about using any truck that has the right wheelbase, sanding the sides down and then gluing stretched MT sideframes to the sides?  That seems to me to be the best way to get an accurate truck.

The model looks really nice!
Aaron Bearden

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
Yes, in N scale, often compromises have to be made.

As far as Athearn trucks (and other parts), then can be ordered from Athearn.  There is a link on their website for parts ordering. Basically you ask them for the part and they will email you with availability and price.  I have ordered those trucks in the past. They were reasonably priced.

Peteski,
That's good to know!...their N scale coupler and trucks page consist of (2) types of wheelsets!...I need many, many pairs of the trucks used on their (previously MDC/Roundhouse) wooden express reefers! The Athearn-MDC/Roundhouse version of these trucks are superior to the Wheels of Time version, in my opinion.

Here are some pics of the car on slightly modified American LTD trucks...I'll live with these until I discover otherwise!

Thanks,
~Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
Hello all...
don't want to beat a dead horse on this one, but I received the KATO trucks in the mail and did a few little mods to see if these would be an improvement over what else has been available and discussed here.
I like these better...I shaved the two nubs from either end and and shaved plastic from the top of the truck, lowering the ride height...FVM 33" wheelsets, and clipped the top of the brass electrical contacts. The look and ride height are sufficiently promising that I'll go ahead and remove the leaf spring and double coil springs, and build a center 'thingy', and two large single springs
Thanks for looking,
~Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
Bruce,
I agree that while not exact, these look really good under that unusual car.  I'm glad that you gave those trucks a try.  They will look even better after your additional modifications.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3134
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
+2
Good news ATSF fans, a client has reached out to commission me to design the truck for this baggage car after reading this thread.  Should be ready for him in less than a month.  It will be designed to use 0.540" x 36" wheels of your choice.

@arbomambo , please help regarding the PM I sent to you, if you can and are willing.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
Good news ATSF fans, a client has reached out to commission me to design the truck for this baggage car after reading this thread.  Should be ready for him in less than a month.  It will be designed to use 0.540" x 36" wheels of your choice.

That is good news John.  I can use a couple or 3 pair myself.  And thanks to your patron for helping get the project off the ground. 

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.