Author Topic: Vulcan Mfg bashing Ideas  (Read 2525 times)

mionerr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Vulcan Mfg bashing Ideas
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
I worked at an American Can plant back in my college days (1960's). Besides the coils in Gons and Boxcars for cans, you'd have a boxcar every so often full of drums of solvents, paints, inks. I shudder to think of how we washed our hand in toluene, MEK and other carcinogenics.
the inside surfaces of cans were coated with a varnish like material. Some cans had labels printed on them instead of paper labels.
I don't recall any tank cars but, hey, it's your railroad.
Coils could also be chained to flat cars.
Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »
And don't forget the sexy can stock cars coming from FVM.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:27 AM »
I plan to use the Kits for a can mfg fractory. "American Can Company". I believe one type of in bound freight,raw materials would be coils of metal on gondolas.Ideas would be helpful for service track plans. Box cars for outbound metal cans.

In the 1980's before the closure of the J&L / LTV Aliquippa Works, the Tin Mill shipped coils in coil cars, covered gondolas and boxcars. Since these coils were plated, I never saw them shipped in open gondolas or on flat cars, because they needed protected from the weather. One of the Tin Mills larger customers was Crown Cork & Seal in Winchester, VA.

On my layout the Vulcan Mfg company is a structural steel manufacturing plant that receives steel beams in gondolas and steel coils in coil cars. Here is a photo of plant.

I just don't understand why Walthers does not sell a crane for this building. I'm in the process of kit bashing one from the Walthers heavy duty crane kit.