Author Topic: I'll Trade Some Rivets for Writing  (Read 1050 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
I'll Trade Some Rivets for Writing
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
....as in lettering placement, etc. on models. It seems to be somewhat common that someone produces a wonderfully accurate model, down to the last rivet, and then it gets (often beautify) decorated with logos or lettering positioned incorrectly....sometimes by quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is a research issue or if it's just really difficult to reproduce accurately positioned (or perhaps sized) markings during production. SP "speed" lettering seems to be an especially difficult one, for example....probably partly because SP never seemed to settle on a standard position on the prototype itself. While I may notice these type of things WAY more than anyone else, I would happily trade a few fine shell details for accurately positioned lettering.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: I'll Trade Some Rivets for Writing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
....but only to a degree, of course! ;)

I should add that I've painted and decorated my own models and later discovered I positioned something incorrectly based on photos I had of a different numbered prototype. I did this on my SP SW1500, where it turns out the lettering is off by several inches on one side (correct for some units, incorrect for the number I did). Drives me nuts! :facepalm:

Incidentally, I tried to edit my first post but noticed the "edit" icon is missing plus some others, even after I logged on again.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
From what I understand, it's rarely a "we didn't do our homework" thing. Rather, it's usually a "the Chinese factory set something up wrong" thing.

Cheers,
-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
I don't seem to have the ability to edit my posts anymore, so I'll piggyback on my last missive by citing the recent Fox Valley PRR ES44AC misprint as an example of "the Chinese factory goofed".

Cheers,
-Mark

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
But there is a difference between the factory actually goofing and some manufacturers constant failing to do their homework.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
...or I have done that myself:  specifically, (and despite every good intention, including looking at proto-photos while working) I have managed to get the CB&Q "Everywhere West" logo positioned correctly, but at the wrong angle of ascent on at least one side of one loco. 

That is the kind of thing that just P's me off about my modeling!  :x
Regards,
Paul

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
I don't seem to have the ability to edit my posts anymore, so I'll piggyback on my last missive by citing the recent Fox Valley PRR ES44AC misprint as an example of "the Chinese factory goofed".

Cheers,
-Mark
Just happened to me..I tried to edit a post,instead,I ended up quoting myself..