Author Topic: Northern Pacific Passenger Car Colors  (Read 4650 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
Re: Northern Pacific Passenger Car Colors
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
I painted up two cars in NP colors a couple of weeks ago, using Tru-Color paints and Microscale decals.  I'm very pleased with their colors (sorry, no pictures), more so than with the pre-decorated cars I have (various).

George.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 08:38:07 PM »
And I thought Penny fans were frequently a little over the edge regarding the "correct" colour of Tuscan Red .

Maybe the SPFs aren't the only ones.  :ashat:

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Puddington, before this gets out of hand, I want to make it clear that I didn't get into this
with the intention of singling out and bashing a manufacturer.   I see a color problem, I photographed it,
and even though we can't count on our monitors being calibrated, I know I can see the problem with my eyes
and I'm just hoping that enough of that variation can be seen in our on-line JPG files.

Admittedly, I know nothing about how this stuff gets produced overseas, so thank you for setting me straight
on that point.
I am dismayed to hear that no samples are made and checked before whole runs of these things are produced.
I would have thought that even having them done in China, there would be a cycle of samples and approval before
producing hundreds or thousands of cars. 

Putting aside the problem of monitor variation,  I can tell you that
when I look at the cars I with my eyes, I can clearly see that the Rapido car is darker than
the Con-Cor, Kato, Walthers, and custom-painted Kato F units I have.  I am not relying on color matching
on monitors to make that determination.   

When is it a real color variation vs  just blow-harding from overly picky modelers?

I have run strings of cars that do not quite match, and it normally does not bother me.
But when you put a string of passenger equipment (engines and cars) on a table, whether it be PRR,
NP, or anything else, and one car stands out from all the others, I can't say that's "picky". 

In good faith, you have said you will ask your colleagues what they know about the NP green color.
I completely take you at your word.   There is most likely nothing to "know". 
I suppose I would be interested in knowing how you translated the color from the NPRHA card to a formula.
Maybe there is something wrong in that process.   

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
Hey Max; No worries; I will look into it and get back to everyone. I am a "modeller first"; (as my boss reminds me when we talk about mfg issues that I am still learning about.... lots to learn and as Bryan and others can tell you about; it's a bit of a "wild wild west" out there when you're dealing with a factory thousands of miles away in a foreign language..... no; not Canadian....tee hee) so I want the best we can get.... I will get back to the gang as soon as I can !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:34:51 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 02:40:39 AM »
So far nobody seems to have mentioned Scalecoat paints.  As all of my NP cars have been painted with them, except a couple Centralia cars, how do they compare to the color cards?  As others have said, colors on monitors can vary dramatically...
N Kalanaga
Be well