Author Topic: Question About Hydra-Cushion Logo on Freight Cars?  (Read 1594 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Question About Hydra-Cushion Logo on Freight Cars?
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
Did any other railroads besides Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt have Hydra-Cushion logos on the sides of their box cars? Like this set:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=87-3&Category_Code=SP&Product_Count=86

I don't recall seeing any other railroad use them.

Hmm... good question, even
if Kiz thought it up...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Question About Hydra-Cushion Logo on Freight Cars?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »
I want to say yes...I seem to recall seeing some Katy boxcars with it.   But it might have been a similar slogan for their version of it.  The guy that invented it went to Evans and I believe SP licensed it to them...but not sure about the history after that or use of the logo.

EDIT: OK, for once my fading memory didn't fail me....sort of.   The Katy boxcars had the *slogan*/wording "Hydra-Cushion" but not necessarily that exact logo.   For example:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2740276 (has pretty staight up vertical block lettering)
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2740275 (more like the SP version, italicized)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:01:10 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the info and photo links.

Silly me, I keep forgetting to do a google search before I ask questions here. Everything I found through Google shows the logo on SP/SSW cars only.

Hmm... I have a Gorre
& Daphetid 40' box car
with the Hydra-Cushion
logo...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
Nah, keep the questions coming...there's always some tidbit of info that comes out of these discussions that doesn't rear its head in Google.  For example, if you Google "Hydra-Cushion" you don't get a single MKT photo in the results, even though the car obviously has those markings...if not that specific SP logo.

Besides, your questions benefit my research too.  If a car is too new (from a build-date perspective) for 1971, there's a very good chance it is still running in 2000 when I need it to be.   8)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
See the Wikipedia article on William K. MacCurdy, especially the line:

MacCurdy left SRI to be the chief research engineer in the Transportation Equipment Division of Evans Products Company, which was licensed some of the proprietary information about the Hydra-Cushion from Southern Pacific in 1957.[1][7]

There were some cars with the Evans logo that also had the H-C logo, as I recall....

Nah, keep the questions coming...

The questions are fine, but we do have a Prototype Research forum... 

:ashat:
-gfh

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
The questions are fine, but we do have a Prototype Research forum... 

You know what happened? I posted the Microscale link to show which logo I was talking about, so I was thinking "N scale models".

Hmm... Kiz was thinking...?

"It works! It works!"

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
"It works! It works!"

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
I think the EELX reporting mark is an Evans Leasing Co. symbol, and they used the same Hydra-Cushion logo that SP used after they received a license for the technology from SP.

FWIW, I don't see many cars with that logo, but there are quite a few Evans lease cars under USLX that carry the small Hydra-Cushion logo, similar to what DRD showed.  A few more examples of the small logo on the 53' double plug door (the proto for the Atlas model):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=73969
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2694507

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »
And I learned something new.  I always assumed Hydra-Cushion was invented by one of the car builders and SP used the big slogans for advertising.  SP actually invented it?
N Kalanaga
Be well