Author Topic: Seeking 0-80 (or thereabouts) nylon or mylar washers  (Read 2872 times)

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Seeking 0-80 (or thereabouts) nylon or mylar washers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 08:41:35 AM »
Sorry, I was working with your .15" plus statement.

I thought, maybe you can pick up a hand held hole punch with a more acceptable od.
I bought a few at Michaels.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
Sorry, I was working with your .15" plus statement.

I thought, maybe you can pick up a hand held hole punch with a more acceptable od.
I bought a few at Michaels.

Ah I see.  But notice, I said that that's what I was finding (0.15 or more) and that was too big, and I
was looking for smaller and thinner.  Thank you anyway.
It is really hard to find such a thing.   For now, it looks like I can use bronze ones after all because they
don't happen to touch the conductive wheel, only the plastic center, so it will be okay.

Perhaps a craft punch with a very small size would work.  That's not a bad idea.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »

Perhaps a craft punch with a very small size would work.  That's not a bad idea.

Max, I mentioned a punch and die set in my earlier post (on page 1).  However I was thinking of hobby sets rather than craft sets.  These are more expensive, but they have a wide range of hole sizes.  I have both a Micro Mark version (1mm through 5mm in 0.5mm increments) and Waldron Model Products precision punch & die set (0.039" through 0.160").  I've used them for making various size washers.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 02:37:35 AM »
I have an ancient 1/8 inch hole punch bought at an office supply store in the 70s.  Washers are easy to make with one of those, although I've never made nylon or mylar.  Just find a sheet of whatever you want, usually styrene for me, drill it full of clearance holes for the screws, and center the holes in the punch.

Most paper punches seem to be 1/4 inch, but I got lucky and found the 1/8 and a 3/16.
N Kalanaga
Be well

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:10:55 AM »
Have you looked at the spacer washers that come with MTL trucks? They're made from tough acetal plastic.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 04:48:47 AM »
Have you looked at the spacer washers that come with MTL trucks? They're made from tough acetal plastic.
Yep... way too thick.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
http://www.microfasteners.com/fwn0-0-.065id-1-8od-.010thk-flat-washers-nylon.html

I'm not sure where you came up with that link but the smallest they show on the site currently are FWN02 - #2 flat  nylon washers. I searched the site for that part number and it doesn't exist. It must be a discontinued part that the web page never got deleted.
Tony Hines

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Max:
I searched for a long time, for washers to use as you described. I never found them, but I did come up with a substitute. On every MT 1015 assemble yourself parts sprue, is a very thin washer in the shape of the coupler box, with a hole already started in the center. Very thin, about 010. Ream the center hole out with any blade, nibble the outside into round and you have some quick, albeit dirty thin washers in almost any size inner and outer diameter you need. You can also slit one side, and then slide them over axles without having to pull the wheels.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Bill