Author Topic: Sunkist Packing House, Orange County CA - N Scale Switching Layout  (Read 20810 times)

lisican

• Respect: 0
Re: Sunkist Packing House, Orange County CA - N Scale Switching Layout
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
Thank you, I appreciate the help!

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »

I don't usually criticize, but you asked......the road looks a bit too dark to me. It would fade to a much lighter gray, especially in the California sun. I'd recommend brushing some white chalk dust over it, it will fade it a bit. I use the same masking tape method you used. It's simple and always good results. Keep the pics coming.

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Best of luck with your efforts.  Two Q's.

1) If you haven't already, you should look up another OC citrus guy, Cliff Prather.  He recently gave a nice talk on the AT&SF service to the groves in OC at the Santa Fe Western Archives Mini-meet back in March.  If you didn't attend, you may at least wish to contact him and beg for his slides.  I see he can often be contacted via Yahoo's Citrus Industry Modeling Group.

2) Have you completed your modification of the Bachmann 2-8-0 coal tender to oil?  If so, how did you do it and what are the specs for the tender you are modeling? 

While most of my Bachmann 2-8-0 will get swaps to vandies, I have need for at least one oil box for SD&A Consolidation #104.  To make such, I just secured a copy of the Espee's diagram for this 90-R oil tender from the massive collection of Mr. Allen Stanley.   

avel

• Crew
    • Layout Album
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
Does your 2-8-0 have the decoder in the tender? Could you possibly fit one of TCS's capacitor thingy's in there to help with the stalling?
iamaman27 on the youtubes

timgill

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »
2) Have you completed your modification of the Bachmann 2-8-0 coal tender to oil?  If so, how did you do it and what are the specs for the tender you are modeling? 

I did. I used the Ultimate N Scale Oil Bunker that is supposed to fit the Kato Mike. See here: http://www.ultimatenscale.com/n-scale-conversion-parts-and-loads.html

Since I'm using the pre-dcc 2-8-0, the coal load is an integral part of the shell and needed to be cut away. The Oil Bunker then slips in rather nicely with a bit of filing. I'm not sure of the specs of the tender for the original 2513; I'm more of a "proto-freelancer" and didn't really bother to get that detailed. The stock USRA tender on the 2-8-0 is a pretty close match proportionally.

Does your 2-8-0 have the decoder in the tender? Could you possibly fit one of TCS's capacitor thingy's in there to help with the stalling?

I installed the decoder in the boiler; there's a small pocket in there that can fit a small Digitrax or TCS Z-scale decoder. There's a fair bit of room in the tender, but I'm not sure if the TCS would fit.

I don't usually criticize, but you asked......the road looks a bit too dark to me. It would fade to a much lighter gray, especially in the California sun.

Agreed. This is my impression as well.

Overall, the layout has seen little progress since my last post. My narrow gauge modeling has captured pretty much all of my modeling attention, so a lot of my N scale stuff is relaxing in storage at the moment. However, I'm jointly working on a medium-sized (9x12) N scale layout at my Dad's house that has a similar theme, so much of the rolling stock will find a home there until I decide what direction to take with this layout.
-Tim Gill
Subscribe to/Visit my Model Railraoding blog: www.marmionvalley.blogspot.com

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »
Great work.  Here is a shot of the Olive Depot I did a few months back.  Cool little structure. 

This is HO scale and now resides on a short module I have been tapping away at.  The figure is a model of Chuck Ciaccio taking detail photo's for me on a trip down south.  :D :D :D

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!