Author Topic: Is 1/2 inch telephone line too small?  (Read 5138 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Re: Is 1/2 inch telephone line too small?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
That was my mistake and not paying attention.  I was thinking 0.010 but wrote 0.006.  My statement, although using the wrong number, still stands only this time use the 0.010" number.  This would be about 1.6" in N-Scale which should be pretty close for the high-tension, high voltage wire.

Doug

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
Bob,

I think the .003 came from the title of this thread, as 1/2 inch is just about .003. When I referred to it in another thread, I assumed this thread was correctlt titled. May have been a wrong assumption on my part. I actually have no idea of the diameter of EZ-Line. I do know my rigging line is .003, as I just measured it to make sure I haven't gone completely blind and insane. .003 nylon thread is incredibly strong. It will take down masts and yardarms every time rather than break.

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 06:46:07 PM »
Here's a couple of places with listings of .003
It really is fine.  Looks as small as the caboose photo to me.

http://www.dallasmodelworks.com/products/productDetail.asp?ItemNumber=BJ-EZLCharcF

http://fiferhobbysu770.corecommerce.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=12447

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
The fine EZ Line is .003".  I used it to rig my N scale Walther's Mack Wrecker.  The HO scale model comes with rigging (although it looked a little fuzzy, like soft thread when I saw one in the LHS.)  The .003 scales out to .48" in N, as close to 1/2 inch as you can get, especially considering tolerances.

I selected Insert Image above, and put in the URL http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NScaleVehicleAssociation/photos/albums/240676913/lightbox/1741262003 , but the picture doesn't show up on the list.  Any idea what I missed?

The elasticity makes for durability in the wire ropes on the model, as well as makes it easy to keep the rigging tight!

Bill B
N Scaling in South Okaloosa
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:31:04 PM by Bangorboy »
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
The fine EZ Line is .003".  I used it to rig my N scale Walther's Mack Wrecker.  The HO scale model comes with rigging (although it looked a little fuzzy, like soft thread when I saw one in the LHS.)  The .003 scales out to .48" in N, as close to 1/2 inch as you can get, especially considering tolerances.

Bill B

Bill, you've actually measured it?  Berkshire Junction's website says it's .010".  Beeg difference between .003" and .010".

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »
I selected Insert Image above, and put in the URL http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NScaleVehicleAssociation/photos/albums/240676913/lightbox/1741262003 , but the picture doesn't show up on the list.  Any idea what I missed?

Bill, you have to be a member of the NSVA Yahoo group to see that link.  In order to post images here, they need to be hosted on a public site (e.g. Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.) and linked to from here. Sorry about that.

Bob, I suspect there is no such thing as .003 EZ Line (but Daryl's example looks plenty good to my eyes).  Why don't you give Mike Fifer a call and ask him about his listing?  If it's the .010 fine line, he can correct his web page; if it really is .003 line, you're a winner.

-Gary

Bangorboy

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
Sorry about the pictures.  I thought all you needed was a URL, and didn't think about having to join the N Scale Vehicle Assn to see them.  I don't have an account on Flickr or any of those.

As for my blurt out about the .003, I distinctly remember when I bought a reel of each, the fine and the heavy, I calculated the fine as representing .48" thick material.  I was so sure of myself, I just ran to the train room and pulled out the reels, sure I would find the dimension written on the label.  No such luck.  I wonder where I read that.  I distinctly remember .003 and .006, but I can't find the source.  The Berkshire Junction site does clearly say .01 and .02 now.  Not sure what it said back when I bought, 5 or 6 years ago.

I'll shut up and crawl back in my corner now.  And next time, I'll check before I make any rash statements I can't back up.

Bill B
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR

Bangorboy

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
OK, let's see if Photobucket works here--

My wrecker with EZ Line for the wire ropes.

edit: fixed photobucket link.  -gfh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:52:07 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 01:12:38 AM »
Bill, you have to be a member of the NSVA Yahoo group to see that link.  In order to post images here, they need to be hosted on a public site (e.g. Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.) and linked to from here. Sorry about that.

Bob, I suspect there is no such thing as .003 EZ Line (but Daryl's example looks plenty good to my eyes).  Why don't you give Mike Fifer a call and ask him about his listing?  If it's the .010 fine line, he can correct his web page; if it really is .003 line, you're a winner.

-Gary

Gary, that's what I'm thinking too.  I agree they look good and I'll be using the "fine" stuff as soon as I get my poles built. As per your suggestion, I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and post what I find here for information's sake.  Yup, if it IS .003", we are all winners!  :)

Bangorboy

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »
Thanks, Gary for fixing my image link.  Next time, I'll know how to do it myself.

Again, I am no longer sure what the thickness of the EZ line is, but all indications are it scales to about 1 1/2 inches, not the 1/2 inch I had believed before.  At any rate, I'm happy with its appearance on the wrecker.  It was fun stringing it, because it behaved very well.

At the sheave end on the mast, I simply folded it back on itself and used CA to hold it.  It's too small to see the lack of cable clamps.  Did the same on the end of the two ropes connected to the lift member that goes under the towed vehicle.  I'm hoping to find a way to model the actual hooks eventually.

OK, let's see if Photobucket works here--

My wrecker with EZ Line for the wire ropes.

edit: fixed photobucket link.  -gfh
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:55:12 PM by Bangorboy »
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR