Author Topic: IM SP Cab Ahead... adding weight?  (Read 857 times)

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
IM SP Cab Ahead... adding weight?
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
Good evening all,

Any thoughts on adding weight to the IM AC? I feel it would make a noticeable, worthwhile difference. Perhaps it's time I pop the shell and do some investigating??
Thanks in advance!  ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
Re: IM SP Cab Ahead... adding weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »
My Cab Forwards pull lots of cars up grade, 30 cars maybe a few more or less. Check to see if the brake shoes are dragging on the rail.

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
Flagler, thanks for chiming in. I'm pretty sure nothing is dragging, but I can always double check that. I recall Victor (Miranda) weighing these when they first came out. I believe the loco came in around 4.4 oz. In comparison, the new Bachmann EM-1 is around 7 oz. (metal boiler). My old Nakamura ACs are around 7.5-8.5 oz. each. I bet if I look, I can find a few spots to put a little Tungsten.
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:18 AM »
The hard part is taking it apart to find room for weight. I love to tinker with steam and this is one loco I am going to leave well enough alone. The springs they use to represent the flexible steam lines look to be a one time use item. You are not getting them off without destroying them. There are quite a few other details that worry me and I don't think twice about scratch building locos.
Tony Hines