Author Topic: PRR loco database?  (Read 1359 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
PRR loco database?
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
Hi all! I'm curious as to whether or not there is a website out in the interwebz that lists PRR locos by their classification and also lists where and when each loco served.
I'm trying to hunt down where PRR's ALCo S-2s (AS10) were stationed during their times of service and if they served in more than one location.
I'm debating whether or not to have the number of my Atlas S-2 changed to something more appropriate for South Jersey and/or Philadelphia once it gets delivered.
I'd also like to do the same with my H10w.

I for some reason never seem to get relevant results to any google search I do regarding prototype stuff, so I'm hoping someone know of something similar to what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help!
-Cody F.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:38:39 PM by VonRyan »
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
Re: PRR loco database?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
I'm guessing no one knows of any such site or anything remotely similar?
All my google searches have turned up nothing of value let alone use.

-Cody F.
Tired.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Pennsylvania Railroad Diesel Locomotive Pictorial Vol. 9 Alco and GE Switchers give a rundown on these.  Also Pennsy Diesels by Douglas/Weiglin has additional info on all classes of PRR disels. 

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
I only own one prototype reference book, a copy of the 1950s British Railways rule book (reprint including amendments authorized up to 1st October, 1961) only because a GWR rulebook fetches far more on ebay.co.uk (it's the PRR of the UK).

I'm really only interested in the numbers of those engines that stayed in Philadelphia/South-Jersey between their time of delivery and 1956, after '56 it doesn't matter.

-Cody F.

Tired.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Most units were assigned to the New York Div.  Two did go to Wellsboro, OH.   Most were assigned to Ebenizer engine house.  During the 60s assignment were to Meadows, NJ, Morrisville, PA, and South Amboy, NJ.  2 units in the 60s were assigned to Buffalo and Renova. 

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:23:14 AM »
Ouch... So it looks like I plunked down a heck of a lot of money down on an engine that never came to my neck of the woods during the period I model... Wonderful.

Much obliged for the help!

-Cody F.
Tired.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »

Jerry Britton's "Keystone Crossings" is one of the main online sources for all things Pennsy.  www.pennsyrr.com

For the information you seek, what you want is the PRR form "MP229" - Assignment of Operations which is found under the menu "Operations" and item "Motive Power Operations".  http://www.pennsyrr.com/index.php/operations/93-motive-power/156-form-mp229s-assignment-of-locomotives

There is a list of the forms for various dates.  Pick the date you're interested in and look for the appropriate division and it will list the locomotive type and road number assigned to that area.  Unfortunately, it doesn't get as specific as to the actual location in the division that the unit was assigned.

For example: Take the 1955 MP229. It's dated April 1, 1955.  It's a PDF file scanned from the original hard copy so some of it can be hard to read.  Sometimes if you enlarge them it's easier to read and sometimes you shrink them.  And sometimes they're actually easier if you print them on your printer and use a magnifying glass.  You just have to be flexible. In any case, looking for Philadelphia Division, which in 1955 was part of the Central Region, you find on page 7 of the PDF (pg 6 on the actual sheet) that there was one AS-10 assigned, road number 5646.

There is also a Philadelphia Terminal Division, I'm assuming it's mostly the industrial tracks running throughout the city so it may not be of interest.  It's listed on page 14 of the PDF.  If you look pretty much all you see are Baldwin units. and mostly small 600HP switchers along with a handful of GE 44 tonners.

From a map for 1955 found at http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/railroads/companies/PRR/PRR%20Maps/PRR%20Regional%20Map%201955.pdf it appears that South Jersey is PSRL territory. So that won't be listed here.

A Google search for "PRSL Locomotive assignments" finds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania-Reading_Seashore_Lines#West_Jersey_and_Seashore_Railroad  which indicates that the PRSL had all Baldwin first generation diesels so you're out of luck there.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
I think we went over this a few months back and I posted where each engine number atlas is releasing was station at a time in the early 50s

I'll try and find the thread but again pretty sure it was covered before when you asked
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
I think we went over this a few months back and I posted where each engine number atlas is releasing was station at a time in the early 50s

I'll try and find the thread but again pretty sure it was covered before when you asked

I'm actually looking for a number Atlas isn't running so that I can have mine renumbered for something more befitting of my locale.

-Cody F.
Tired.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/operations/93-motive-power/156-form-mp229s-assignment-of-locomotives

There you go pick your year and find your engine house and look for what AS-10s where there
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/operations/93-motive-power/156-form-mp229s-assignment-of-locomotives

There you go pick your year and find your engine house and look for what AS-10s where there

It seems that there was only ever one AS-10 stationed in the Philadelhpia Division.
AS-10 #5646 and it started service there in 1955 and was still there in 1956.
I stopped looking after 1956 since it is my cut-off year.

-Cody F.
Tired.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
Looking through my various photo/reference books I find quite a few of these units working in Philadelphia over the years.  Was not uncommon for PRR to loan out to different divisions when the need arises.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
I didn't notice anything in any of the years I checked about one or more being loaned to philadelphia div.
At least there was one, though shame it was so late in my modelling window.

-Cody F.
Tired.