Author Topic: Layout Tours in south-central PA Sep 21-22  (Read 1108 times)

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
Layout Tours in south-central PA Sep 21-22
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
Greetings all,

Mainline Hobby Supply of Blue Ridge Summit is having their 24th annual Open House September 21-22.  In addition to the sale and overall just being a nice store to visit, there are more than 20 home and club layouts within 90 minutes of the store that will be open either Saturday, Sunday or both days.  You sign in at the store and receive a tour book with the directions for the self-guided tours.

For forum members in the Harrisburg area, you are welcome to visit my layout on Sunday the 22nd from noon to 5 without making the trip down to Mainline.  Please PM me for directions.

Ron

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Layout Tours in south-central PA Sep 21-22
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
Fantastic Ron!

Looks great!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »
And of course I just booked something else this weekend!  Damn.

I keep meaning to get up to this, it always seems like a great time.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
I made it 6 of the layouts on tour for today.  Some real great work out there, if you have a chance on Sunday stop by Mainline and pick up the tour guide.  19 layouts open on Sunday starting as early as 10 AM, from Frederick, MD, Hagerstown, Fairfield, Chambersburg, Waynesboro, New Oxford and Glenville, PA.  Looking to hit at least 5 or 6 tomorrow myself.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
Made the drive across PA to see Ron Smith and his layout. Also met Adma ( MU) while there. Those guys directed us to a couple other layouts. All in all, a good day in many categories.

Ron and Adam, thanks for your hospitality.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
Addendum: While cruising from one layout to another, drove past New Cumberland depot and noted numerous DOD deep well cars in yard with rather large cylindrical stainless objects secured to the decks.  All door box cars spotted as well.

btsnyder27

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
I had stumbled upon this open house a few years back by accident (just happened to be going to Mainline that day for a day trip) and wasn't planning on expending a whole day, so only saw the gentleman's WM layout across the street from the shop.  It is was a good time, and hopefully at some point in the future, the open house weekend won't overlap with beach week...
Modeling Conrail in 1980 in N.
Modeling a modern fictional shortline railroad in HO.

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
Ron,

Your progress and overall impression was very well executed. Nice touch (in the garage) with prototype books showing photos of areas modeled. And a special "thank you" for the invite to run some of my "West Coast" stuff on your day.... it meant a lot and was greatly appreciated!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »
Blazeman, it was nice to meet you and Bill - glad you made the trip over.  You win the long distance award, although there was competition.  I had a visitor from Hagerstown (70 miles) and Mike Madonna came up from Parkersburg, about 60 miles.

Adam (mu26aeh) was on-hand to witness (and clean up) the one and only major derailment of the day.  And Mike Madonna brought a beautifully weathered Cab Forward and freight cars; for a while the Canisteo Valley was transformed into the SP's Coast Division!

Ron

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...