Author Topic: DT400 rebooting  (Read 1584 times)

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
DT400 rebooting
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
Anyone ever had a problem with their DT400 throttle rebooting over and over when you plug it in? What I mean is it keeps going through it's display check when first plugged in.

Jon

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: DT400 rebooting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
Jon,
Hmm seems odd.. Is it a old DT400? Or a newer DT402? Does it have Radio of any kind.
I think the main issue could be that the PROM chip (that is in a socket inside the DT400) may not be seated correctly.
Pop open the rear cover of the unit and just gently lean on the IC to make sure it is seated correctly and try again.
To open the DT400 you need to open the battery door, unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom, then slide the back upwards towards the top of the unit. It will only move 5mm or so and then lift the rear lid off the unit.
The chip will be obvious..

Here is a picture of a open DT40xR/ DT40xD unit.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://mvns.railfan.net/graphics/vsthrottle/3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mvns.railfan.net/vsthrottle.htm&h=480&w=640&sz=37&tbnid=ii4erT8jVpn8OM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&zoom=1&usg=__LLBiI0Jb68eV2NdGuDBJWQmy1AA=&docid=D9LJ-QMfarSugM&sa=X&ei=62c2UrOdFYzuiAeDtYCwBw&ved=0CGEQ9QEwCg&dur=0
The board daughter board is the radio component.
If yours is a older DT400 then it wont have this extra board.
You can just see the brown outline of the socket for the chip Im talking about below the board.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:13:51 PM by bdennis »
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:48 AM »
Dennis,
Yes it is the old 400. When I get home tonight I will give what you suggested a try.

Jon

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »
Jo,
OK.
The case open process is the same for all.
Just go gently. Sometimes the battery tabs on both sides can hinder the back of the case sliding upwards towards the top.
There is a blanking plate that is at the top of the throttle that will also pop out. It sits in a grove. Can be a little bit of fun getting it back in the right place when putting it back together.
Brendan Dennis

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
Jon, check the stickied post at the top of this forum, it solves the problem. Your DT will require a vacation to FL.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:50:00 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Jon, check the stickied post at the top of this forum, it solves the problem. Your DT will require a vacation to FL.

But when it comes back it will be better than new.  I sent mine last year and upgraded my DT400 to a DT402D (radio and infrared).  You don't have to plug in to consist or to run different locos.  Sweet!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
Jo,
OK.
The case open process is the same for all.
Just go gently. Sometimes the battery tabs on both sides can hinder the back of the case sliding upwards towards the top.
There is a blanking plate that is at the top of the throttle that will also pop out. It sits in a grove. Can be a little bit of fun getting it back in the right place when putting it back together.

Brendan,

Your solution worked!!!  :D
You saved me from spending a little $$. The chip was loose just a bit. But if it happens again I may just upgrade but for now it's working.

Jon

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
Jon,
Nice work.. Glad it worked for you.

Thanks for the feedback.
I think the issue can be that, (if a bettery is used regularly) when the thrttle it taped on the hand to dis lodge the battery this can also jar the IC in the socket inside the unit and it can work its way loose over time.

Good stuff.. $$ saved.. Our work is done!.
Brendan Dennis