Author Topic: Are there any large Z scale layout  (Read 7800 times)

rvn2001

• Respect: 0
Re: Are there any large Z scale layout
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:24 AM »
This is the only way I can post the photo here. This should be the link to the photo on Flikr.
This is a 100-car train running on the MidweZt HaulerZ 2' x 12' modules.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rvn20012000/1610841352/in/set-72157602485709394

Thom Welsch
MidweZt HaulerZ

Added: Thom the above link works fine, but you can also grab the "BB Code" Flickr gives you as one of its Share options.  Just grab the parts between the IMG tags, copy it here, and your image will appear in the post.  -gfh

Nice pike. :)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:08:51 AM by GaryHinshaw »

rvn2001

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
Thanks,

Ya learn something new everyday!

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
The word "awesome" is overused, but it's what comes to mind looking at all this stuff. I had to laugh at the Z scale UP Challengers. I'm always whining about too many N scale versions, but in Z scale they make perfect sense. Building a smaller steamer must be close to impossible.

I did a quick edit of the trackplan for the Allegheny Eastern just to see what it would look like. I left the "mile markers" in for comparison. At a 150 feet the mainline is now over 6 miles long...

The mainline tracks are now about 7/8" apart. Juniata yard hasn't grown as much as I thought it would. It went from 10 to 14 tracks. Each track, however is now 1/2 mile long. Horseshoe curve is now close to scale although now I think it's actually wider than it should be. The helper loop at Gallitzin now has two tracks, like the prototype.

The classification yard at Homer is now a possibility, albeit quite a bit shorter than the actual thing. The tracks at Bennington are now far apart enough to do it right.

Maybe the next version of the All East could be Z, though it's highly doubtful there will be another version. I'm 60 years old. It'll take forever to "finish" the layout, especially at my present pace. Maybe my grandkids can shoot for it.

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »
Frank, your layout speaks to me! I am a Pennsylvania railroad fan. I LOVE the layout plan. I take it each block represents a square foot? If that is the case, you curves are sweeping and could accommodate long trains with no problem.

You can have a lot of fun with this layout, especially depending on the era you wanted to model If you are looking at PRR, then you have GG1s that would be perfect in Altoona. Marklin offers these and they are true to scale. Heck, you have enough space that you represent a slice of the Juanita shops! Also available for PRR in this era is GP7s (AZL with radio antennas), GP9s (MTL), heavy-weight passenger coaches (just released this past year from AZL), and coming up later this year Light Mikados (AZL). PRR GP35s have also been released

If you want to go later, with the NS era, you have SD70Ms that were released by AZL, SD70Ms with flared radiators will be released in the next few months (AZL), SD40-2s (MTL), and GP38-2s (AZL).

Of course there is a good selection of rolling stock for all eras! Take a look at the AZL website for some idea of the options available:

http://www.americanzline.com/

Sixty you say? You have time!

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
I looked at that AZL link...It's hard to believe those steam locomotives are Z scale. Beautiful.

Budget constraints were the main reason that kept me away from Z when I started contemplating the Allegheny Eastern. I'm looking at the prices and it's still out of my league. Almost all of the N scale All East was purchased second hand, including some track, to keep the costs down. Even my steam locomotives are purchased for less than $50-$60. I'm not seeing a whole lot of second hand Z scale.

Having said that, guys who live off PB&J can still dream of eating steak  :)

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »
Good point on the pricing. Z is a bit more expensive than the other scales. But there is a good second hand market. We have a website solely devoted for Z scale resale. Take a look:

http://www.ztrackresale.com

You can find MTL F7s for around $75.00. The AZL Mikados have a MSRP of $219.00, though quite a few dealers are selling them sub $200.00.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com