Author Topic: What happened to Atlas RTS?  (Read 3456 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
Re: What happened to Atlas RTS?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
Can it do this type of stuff? This is my actual vector-drawn trackplan, enhanced with a raster layer:

It was drawn with Canvas on a MAC a long time ago. I don't use sectional track.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »
Ah. Canvas. Now that's ancient history. Like Aldus FreeHand. I miss FreeHand. A lot.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »
Wow .... I thought I'd just get one or 2 replies about RTS. But nice to hear about alternatives. Has there ever been a thread discussing all the track planning pgms and their qualities, good and bad?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
Can it do this type of stuff? This is my actual vector-drawn trackplan, enhanced with a raster layer:

It was drawn with Canvas on a MAC a long time ago. I don't use sectional track.

I don't know of any track planning software that can render plans like that. This was done entirely with CorelDraw:

For the next one, I used AnyRail to render the track plan itself, then I imported it into PhotoPaint to add scenic effects, some of which were created in CorelDraw:

The developer of AnyRail has dreamed of building an application that can do this sort of thing, but after some long discussions with him, he's come to realize that it's a bit of a stretch to be able to do this without losing the simplicity and intuitiveness that has made AnyRail so popular.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:24:08 AM by David K. Smith »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
Another option for Macs is XTrakCAD which is open source and free.  It does not seem to be especially well maintained any more, and the UI is a bit clunky, but it does have decent track libraries and adequate drawing tools.  I'm sure Anyrail is superior software, but XT works.

-gfh