Author Topic: Life Like sw9/1200 shell on Kato mechanism  (Read 1879 times)

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
Life Like sw9/1200 shell on Kato mechanism
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
Does anybody have tips on using a Life Like sw9/1200 shell on a Kato NW2 mechanism? I'd really like to get a sw9 that Life Like made in the Southern Pacific road switcher tiger stripe scheme, but from what I've read about the mechanisms, they're really hard to get to run well, and then keep them running well. I'm thinking it would be easier to just swap the body onto the Kato mechanism, but I haven't found any info about this conversion. So, has anybody done it, and if so, got any tips?

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Life Like sw9/1200 shell on Kato mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:06:25 AM »
Replace the LL worm gears with the finer KATO brass worms and rectify the Electrical pickup and the LL units are pretty smooth and reliable.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »
LOL I'd like to put a LL chassis under my Kato NW2 so it would run better. I guess the LL's can have problems, but they run at much slower speeds than Kato.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »
Where are you reading that they're really hard to get running well? I think they run great.

-Mark

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
There are 2 Life Like SW1200s.

The Life Like version and the Walthers version.

Walthers version is great, has brass worms.

The Life Like version is a crap shoot.  Some are great and quiet, some are terrible.  Mine was terrible.

The ultimate problem is that Life Like for some insane reason used plastic worms-- and they are out of round- they are not perfect.  So they wobble when they spin.

Change the worms to brass and they run perfectly.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
I had an early-version LL SW-8.   It ran 'OK', once it got going, but the electrical pickup (mostly due to wheel material) was erratic through my yard.  If I polished up the wheels EVERY TIME before I ran it it was OK, but other than that....big improvement over the original Rivarossi SW1500 at least.   This isn't just the LL SW-unit, I've had similar problems with the GP20 and the Alcos.   The softer wheel material (blackened) seems to corrode up slightly if the unit sits for a while.  On first startup it's erratic, and as the wheels polish back out then it's fine again.   You get better tractive effort, but at that price.

So I put the body (which was actually very nice) on the Kato chassis, worked fine, had to do a little dremel work but nothing significant.    Mostly ACC up the entire body solid, remove some plastic here and there, take the pickup tabs off.   But it does work.

Pulling power was about the same.   But the electrical performance with the Kato pickups and wheels was significantly better, no more slow-speed stalling and it no longer needed constant cleaning.    My Kato was a first run, has been great since the day I got it.  I have two more LL chassis, and both are shelf queens.   Kato slow speed is better, but not enough to justify the work.  For me it was all electrical and worth it.  Had nothing to do with worms, although I don't contest the issue. 

Something sticks in my mind about changing the LL wheels over to NWSL ones, that would also likely solve the issue I had.

I've converted about a dozen of the Kato NW2's to SW1's for customers, all have run quite nicely and I have no idea why people seem to have trouble with them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:21:52 AM by randgust »

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
There are 2 Life Like SW1200s.

The Life Like version and the Walthers version.

Walthers version is great, has brass worms.

The Life Like version is a crap shoot.  Some are great and quiet, some are terrible.  Mine was terrible.

The ultimate problem is that Life Like for some insane reason used plastic worms-- and they are out of round- they are not perfect.  So they wobble when they spin.

Change the worms to brass and they run perfectly.

This is what I have heard, about the plastic worms. I recall now that I had one years ago and it took a lot of tinkering to get it to run well, and then the performance would degrade and I'd have to tune it all over again. I had not heard about replacing the worms, thats very interesting.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
Replace the LL worm gears with the finer KATO brass worms and rectify the Electrical pickup and the LL units are pretty smooth and reliable.

What is the Kato part# for the brass worms?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »
What is the Kato part# for the brass worms?