Author Topic: Brake Chain  (Read 1583 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Brake Chain
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
Since I've never seen this stuff up close, is the 52 link-per-inch chain from TrainCat suitable for brake chain like this on N-Scale locos?

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Brake Chain
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Interesting question. I don't have a direct answer but 52-links per inch in N scale would be 52 links in 160 of the prototype. That's about a 3-inch link. That photo is a bit small to count links and estimate how long it is.  Maybe a better side view would make the estimation easier.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
I think 52 LPI loose chain would not be very good for this application: too large and too floppy.  I would recommend Bob's 72 LPI etched chain, with the caveat that it has flat links.  (But it still looks pretty good - here is an example where you can compare a short length to a 33" wheel on this N Scale Kits spine car:)

Even better, Bob might get his 88 LPI chain with "3d" links into production soon.

-Gary

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
What He Said . . . . .   :D

The 88LPI are on the next SS sheet to be etched.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »
Gary,
Those spines and flats look GREAT! Excellent added detail and weathering.

Bob,
88 lpi would be impressive...a bit less than a 2" link on the prototype.

I think 52 LPI loose chain would not be very good for this application: too large and too floppy.  I would recommend Bob's 72 LPI etched chain, with the caveat that it has flat links.  (But it still looks pretty good - here is an example where you can compare a short length to a 33" wheel on this N Scale Kits spine car:)

Even better, Bob might get his 88 LPI chain with "3d" links into production soon.

-Gary

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
I'll stand by for Bob's 88 lpi chain.  That stuff looks impressive.  I've tended to shy away from the other etched stuff because it is flat and would/could be hard to bend to look correct.  The 3D chain, however, would look great in most application in N-Scale.  OK Bob, over to you.....

Doug