Author Topic: N Rust Decals  (Read 8218 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: N Rust Decals
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Seriously, you have to ask for the thinner paper?  :facepalm:  And if you don't know to ask, you get stuck with the thick stuff? I can under stand if bought from a dealer, but straight from the manufacture, you should get the latest and greatest. Seems a little shady. I like the idea of the product and I do plan on buying some, but man, let a brother know what's up. You could always sell the thick stuff at reduced price if you want to move old stock. But don't pass it off on those that don't know to ask.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

I was thinking the same thing...    :?

Anyone want to buy my $36 worth of thick decals???   

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:24:46 PM by ljudice »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
Can somebody show an angle where the lighting on the decaled car shows the decal film edge at its worst ?

Richie Dost

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »
Can somebody show an angle where the lighting on the decaled car shows the decal film edge at its worst ?

Not sure this is the worst as I've pulled the others off - it is so thick you can just peel them off after drying for several days. The thick decals will NOT conform to the ribs on a RBOX type car no matter how much setting solution is used.  The grafitti is a Microscale decal, the rust is the one you are looking for:

BTW, I've been painting and decaling for 40 years and know exactly how to do this, so technique is not the issue.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:55:13 PM by ljudice »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »
Thanks

Richie Dost

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Just for curiosity's sake, did you use Micro Sol and or Set or Walthers or have you tried them all and had the same result?

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Just for curiosity's sake, did you use Micro Sol and or Set or Walthers or have you tried them all and had the same result?

Let me put it this way....  Yes, I tried ALL of the above on multiple examples and in LARGE quantities....

After hitting the decal for about 2 hours with MicroSOL and then Solvaset and letting it dry, I could peal it OFF the model in once piece.

Ever see that before???

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Here is the decal - it can be PULLED OFF IN ONE PIECE IT IS SO THICK - after about 2 hours of Solvaset - and 2 days of drying.  Notice the Microscale decal below which shows that I know how to apply decals!  :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:36:14 PM by ljudice »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »
On the plus side it seems to be weathering your lettering behind the rust nicely.

Please keep in mind that this paper is not lacquer based paper so it will not react the same as what you are use to.
Thanks
Joe Steimann

Seems to me this may be the root of the problem.

Joe,
If it doesn't react the same way - and Lou's photos seem to bear that out - what do you recommend?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
Wow, that looks like scotchtape. The thin is reported to be about half, 13 microns, the thickness of the thick, 25 microns. I wonder how thick microscale decals are?
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »
On the plus side it seems to be weathering your lettering behind the rust nicely.

No, I faded out that lettering by hand...

Look, I'm guessing here that the thinner decal paper is easier to handle, so I don't want to beat a dead horse by complaining about the
thick stuff...

I'm just a little bit irritated that I purchase $30+ shipping of decals and receive the old stock which as far as I can see, with my limited
40+ years of modeling experience is not workable.   And the new, easier to use stuff was there had someone told me to ask for it. Even my
usual method of dealing with decals that won't conform - to slit them carefully with an X-acto blade would not work - these are so thick they
are hard to cut without scratching the paint below them - and when cut you now have even more thick edges to work with.

If you went to the butcher and ended up with a horrible, tough, gristle ridden steak and was told "oh, you should have asked me for a good one" -
how would you feel?

- Lou
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:26:30 PM by ljudice »

weathering solutions

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 02:48:41 AM »
By all means I am happy to send you our latest generation of decals as soon as we can custom print them for you.  Your satisfaction is what is most important here.   

Let me apologize for not being clear when I stated that we have new thinner film. We are in the process of switching to a new thinner decal film and have not yet planned our launch date.  This new decal film roll out will be our next generation of decals.  We can print very short runs for the new generation and can fulfill custom orders on a very limited basis until we officially launch.  As of last week, the only sheets we have ready to ship in the thinner film is sheet #‘s 1223, 1224, 1231 and 1232.  We do value your feedback and concerns as we do with all customers and  I don’t want anyone on this forum to think we have inventory of both on hand.  Please PM me and let’s get you the results you are looking for.  Happy to help. 

weathering solutions

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:18 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »