Author Topic: Vacuum car project  (Read 2983 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1001
Vacuum car project
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »
I heard that some are hearing ballast hit the fan on the Tomix vacuum/rail cleaning car . Is there no filter in that ? Anywho I couldn't find a multi stage fan or that Tyson type thing small enough . I already have and was not impressed with those small keyboard vacuums . So I am going to try this to see if it works at all .

Below first line should be FULL Width

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:24:55 PM by up1950s »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1387
Re: Vacuum car project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
To answer your question - no, the only filter on the Tomix is the screen on top. However, I don't see the issue on ballast hitting the fan, as that's how good ol' fashioned upright floor vacuums work - the dirt passes through the fan.

You already ordered your fans, but it would have been helpful to know that there are fairly big differences in capacity, as these little fans strike a balance between noise and airflow. A quiet fan may be good for 1.8-2.0 cfm, with quiet fans desirable for equipment on your desk that's always on. If fan noise is not an issue - and it's not a lot of noise, really - you can get up to 3.5 cfm. Put six of these on your car (21 cfm!) and you ought to be able to suck spikes out of the ties :D :

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC25101V1-000U-A99/259-1571-ND/2757807
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Never trust anyone lacking a sense of humor.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Ballast in the Atlas cleaning cars usually wedges itself between the outside edge of the impeller, and the opening for the impeller. There is a small gap between them.
. . . 42 . . .

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
 Richie,I'm actually working on one.I'm using an 89 foot auto parts boxcar.On one end,I put a custom aluminum tube that was made to be as wide as the inside of the car,and very thin.I'm putting a micro helicopter motor in the tube,with a cut down blade to make a ducted fan.The filter is a plastic Harley glass see through fuel filter insert,a big one,it's about three inches long,fits right in the car.The power supply will be part of the car,I'm using the entire charging system,LiPo battery, and electronics from the helicopter.I may even add the flashing lights,LOL!! I'll be able to switch it on,and it should run full bore for about twenty minutes,totally self contained..
  I think you're gonna find those fans don't have enough power to do much.I've used them in RC car stuff,they're really only meant to move a little air,just enough to cool stuff.Using four won't add power,just volume.One will most likely not be able to draw it's full CFM rating through a port in the bottom of the car,if one doesn't have enough power,adding another will most likely just slow down the first.If one is capable of drawing say,1 CFM through the port,adding another won't necessarily increase the vacuum,since the other one will just slow down..At most,I'd use two..
 I'll post pics of mine tomorrow night,batteries in my camera are shot...

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »
Cool , you don't have to power yours , just let the prop do double duty . I hear ya on the sucklessness , but the Atlas has good reviews with 1 fan and I just want to see what this does . Curious as to the Atlas fan volt input , fan design , and stuff . Anybody have an exploded view or shot of the innards ? I don't want to copy that design , and will not , just curious .

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
 ;) IMHO With the Tomix track cleaning car now more readily available the US, it is an option to consider for routine right of way maintenance.  This is a car that can be operated within a train or periodically to clean the track. 

Use of a shop vacuum after any addition of scenery or ballast is my standard approach.

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
;) IMHO With the Tomix track cleaning car now more readily available the US, it is an option to consider for routine right of way maintenance.  This is a car that can be operated within a train or periodically to clean the track. 

Use of a shop vacuum after any addition of scenery or ballast is my standard approach.
I'm actually making mine part of a track maintenance train.I built a track cleaner car an locomotive that are a set.I used a  pair of U30CG shells for the bodies,shortened one and put it on a Life Like F40 chassis,the other has a full length shell with a scratchbuilt chassis,and a pad type cleaner that uses a stone instead of Masonite.The vacuum car and a passenger car will be added,so it looks like a foobie Lehigh Valley rail grinder train..

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
I ordered a Tomix to compare suckability by weight ( coins or whatever ) attached to a piece paper to fully cover both intakes .

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
How about some sources for these fans? While my track cleaning train is complete, I could see spending a few nights fooling around with a custom build, as I just love gizmos.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »
How about some sources for these fans? While my track cleaning train is complete, I could see spending a few nights fooling around with a custom build, as I just love gizmos.

I have some 12V and 7.2 V on order , but I am thinking 5 V might be better to adjust loco speed to fan speed so I ordered these on eBay an hour ago . They run faster at 13K and have been advertised at 3CFM and 3.5CFM in ads . I bought all 5 that the guy had on eBay , but here is a site where you can get the same fans at the same price +- .
5 volt fan http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=907
7.2 volt fan , No RPM or CFM info to be found by me , http://asiatees.com/display.php?brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=53856&c=recommend-int
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:29:04 PM by up1950s »

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +72
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »
I ordered a Tomix to compare suckability by weight ( coins or whatever ) attached to a piece paper to fully cover both intakes .
Richie,why not try a water column guage? Of course,the vacuum may be so low,you may have to angle the rise to get a readable result...Didn't get to take pics,just got home,after 1 AM..LOL!!

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
If you want REAL performance . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13000KV-Brushless-Motor-30mm-RC-Ducted-Fan-EDF-For-Helicopter-Airplane-/140784122283?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c76339ab

64,000 RPM   :o
Bob,that's kinda what I'm building.I looked at ducted fans,but they're just too big to put on top.That thing would blow the top off my mountains in tunnels,and if you put it on the front/rear,it would blow cars & scenery over...I have an aluminum tube as wide as a car,and a coreless helicopter motor.It's powerful enough to lift a 3 ounce heli.I'm putting two tail rotor blades on it,one on top of the other..No idea how many RPM's it turns,but it's gotta be well over 30,000..

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
The fan power is planned out now .

Some sort of 6 wheel pick up trucks .

Full bridge rectifier

Then this 9VDC step/down  http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2095 to power the next one .

Then this 5 VDC step up/down http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2121

Each fan gets the 2 units above .

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
The fan power is planned out now .

Some sort of 6 wheel pick up trucks .

Full bridge rectifier

Then this 9VDC step/down  http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2095 to power the next one .

Then this 5 VDC step up/down http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2121

Each fan gets the 2 units above .
Richie,I have a few Model Power C420/SD45 dummy trucks you're welcome to,but only 4 wheel pickup..One screw mount,though..