Author Topic: Wanted: Pics of Prototype Diesel Engine Service Facilities  (Read 10615 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Wanted: Pics of Prototype Diesel Engine Service Facilities
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »
Since there are sooooo many variants, I decided to make modular components allowing the modeler to pick/choose what they need. Here is the first. A basic Raised Engine Service Walkway w/ or w/o side railing. Next offering will be a center walkway with multiple sanding towers connected by an elevated walkway and drop ramps to the locomotives roof.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »
I'm resurrecting this thread to get some opinions from the collective. I have always wanted to do a Sanding Tower like these in Bluefield, WV (thanks for the link Mark):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=134862&nseq=25
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=183238&nseq=161

The question is the most suitable track spacing on either side of the towers. The towers will have an elevated platform to walk out onto the locomotive. Each towers platforms would be connected to another platform by an elevated walkways. Full length walkways, similar to the ones I already have, will be on the exterior. I am considering a track C2C of either 1.625in, 1.75in or 2in. Thoughts . . . . . .
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Midniteflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
Not a real close pic, but you know the UP they don't like you close to anything.................Bailey Yard

Black & Gold Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »
Thanks for the pic.

The question I am posing is . . .
What is the most suitable track spacing on either side of the towers. The towers will have an elevated platform to walk out onto the locomotive. Each towers platforms would be connected to another platform by an elevated walkways. Full length walkways, similar to the ones I already have, will be on the exterior. I am considering a track C2C of either 1.625in, 1.75in or 2in. Thoughts . . . . . .
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Bob,

Typical spacing ranges from 22' to 26' for older facilities, and 26' to 30' for modern ones. Considering the natural tenancy to compress our scenes, I believe 22' would not be out of line. :)

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
Thanks Marc!!

Exactly what I needed?
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ron McF

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »
I would love to see an etched kit to make one of those arches at the centre of the turntable in Chris333's photos, that would be suitable for the Peco turntable.  A 'dress-up' kit might also include better handrails, and a shed.

Regards,
Ron

Ron McF
The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
"Here's where we fueled, inspections, wash & had light service at Queen St. in Alexandria VA before hitting the weedline.  Just outside of Pot Yard.  Across the street was the old roundhouse which was being used as a lumber yard in later years as the facility was down sized, and alas steam was long gone.  Now it's all gone."

Use to visit the shop back in '75 and '76 when I was stationed in the Army.  They kept a former NS side door caboose up there along with a couple of other old pieces of equipment... seems like I remember an RC car up there as well.  Even had a chance to see 722 when it was visiting the area, though I didn't get to catch it on the excursions.  Hate that it is now all gone... its what some folks call "Progress"...