Author Topic: NJI Brass Transformation...  (Read 1246 times)

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
NJI Brass Transformation...
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
I have a set of NJI Brass New Haven "Washboard" commuter coaches which I purchased at least a decade ago.  While the set is attractive (the terrible decals notwithstanding), the powered chassis could only be described as "horrible" at best.  It would not stay on the track, even on a tangent section.  The trucks would simply jump the rails, every time.  And the noise generated was also off the charts.

Not too long ago, when Ron Bearden was soliciting the attention of persons with brass locomotives that had Kumata drives, I informed him that I owned this set and would appreciate some assistance in trying to figure out why the powered car ran so poorly.  He suggested that I forward the unit to him for evaluation.  He had already refurbished another modeler's Washboard chassis with great success and would be happy to see what he could do with mine.

I sent the ailing model to Ron.  What I received back was a model that is equal in performance to any state-of-the-art example on the market today.  It creeps from tie to tie at achingly low speeds without the slightest hesitation or cogging.  Ron informed me that it will run at 3/4 of full throttle for 1/2 hour with virtually no excessive heat buildup, but I will not subject it to that test.

Ron is hoping that some more exposure to his efforts will net him contact with the Kumata-driven models that he still needs to consider his project a total success.  Dealing with Ron has been a gratifying experience; he is very generous with his time and his considerable knowledge.  Willie R.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1367
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: NJI Brass Transformation...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
The decals used were from the Microscale NH steam set, which were the only decals available that the time.  Today, the correct decals can be extracted from various Microscale NH passenger sets to create a model that looks as good as it now runs.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
I have a set of NJI Brass New Haven "Washboard" commuter coaches which I purchased at least a decade ago.  While the set is attractive (the terrible decals notwithstanding), the powered chassis could only be described as "horrible" at best.  It would not stay on the track, even on a tangent section.  The trucks would simply jump the rails, every time.  And the noise generated was also off the charts.

I sent the ailing model to Ron.  What I received back was a model that is equal in performance to any state-of-the-art example on the market today.  It creeps from tie to tie at achingly low speeds without the slightest hesitation or cogging.  Willie R.

Wow...I wonder what he did to achieve that kind of results...

Mark in Oregon

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Bryan -

The New Haven washboard MU's letter boards and script herald boards were coated with (Scotchlite??) - embedded glass-like reflective particles.  In all of the photos and videos taken of the washboards in low light, the boards stand out due to enhanced reflectivity.

I am applying decals to silver reflective tape and cutting the tape to the appropriate dimensions and then applying the tape to the model.  It looks super-realistic.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1367
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
Interesting.  I have a Washboard set where the stock decals have been removed but have yet to have new decals applied. I'm probably going to just keep the plated surface on the placards and protect the decals with Future.  That should provide a slight contrast to the light reflection.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +968
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
I'd love to see some pics!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
I'd love to see some pics!

Full documentation is coming when my book comes out.

I have 50 pages totally completed and about another 30 or so in draft form.

In short, I added flywheels, changed the bearings, repaired a broken pickup, and Beardenized it.
http://u18b.com/tutorials/

I've only seen two Washboard sets, and they both ran absolutely awful. 
Now they run like they can and should run.

Kumata- the way it was meant to be.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.