Author Topic: Tomix track cleaning car now in US  (Read 6380 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Tomix track cleaning car now in US
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
Hmmm, how would the suction on of the intake of a jet engine melt snow? Suck - yes, melt - no.  Just saying...  :trollface:
But you're right, this is way OT here.

Not to melt snow , use the intake as a vacuum to pick up dust on the layout tracks . Geez

Richie Dost

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
Something got stuck between the fan and the housing of the unit, and if the fan doesn't turn then the unit doesn't work (go figure!).

I thought it was a motor problem but tried rotating the fan with my finger and found it was offering a lot of resistance so I figured something was stopping the fan from rotating... Sure enough, a large piece of ballast had wedged itself in there.  Once I removed that the fan turned without much effort and I continued cleaning my main.

If you have a lot of loose ballast, you'll be doing this all day. And, just like bigger vacuums, these will grind before passing the bits that don't completely stop them..

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »
The vacuum fan is removable; a small tool is included with the car for that purpose.
I think one is fortunate to have vacuum up the loose ballast with this car rather than have it pulled into the gears of a locomotive.
I ended by days of ballasting after a locomotive "ate" a piece of ballast.  ;) Tough on gears.