Author Topic: PRR A5 in N Scale  (Read 28957 times)

Kiasutha

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: PRR A5 in N Scale
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:18 AM »
I think the cab is the biggest spotting feature to change.  Steal one from a K4 shell, or the Trix B6.

The Trix B6 tender... that's a GREAT idea.  The Trix tender has that long low rake to it and is
much closer to the right shape for the A5.    The Bachmann is too narrow and too high.
B6 cab-that thing is big; like an H class cab. Really have to chop it down...
The b'mann tender is also too short by about 3 feet in both the tank and truck spacing according to the diagrams I found.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
B6 cab-that thing is big; like an H class cab. Really have to chop it down...
The b'mann tender is also too short by about 3 feet in both the tank and truck spacing according to the diagrams I found.

You found diagrams of an A5? Where at?

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

Kiasutha

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html
Yah, that's the place.
Found it back when I was trying to model PRR.

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
The L1 cab does look like it could do excellently for an A5 cab, but without measurements of not only the prototype A5 cab or the GHQ L1 cab, plus it seems like Republic Locomotive Works is out of L1 cabs...

Cody,
RLW has the cab kit. I just purchased one for the L1s I screwed up.

I'm also pretty sure I have Model Railroader drawings for the A class switchers around here.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:09:20 PM by kelticsylk »

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
Cody,
RLW has the cab kit. I just purchased one for the L1s I screwed up.

I'm also pretty sure I have Model Railroader drawings for the A class switchers around here.

Weird, when I looked, under quantity it said "0" whch I assumed meant that they were out of them.

As for the diagram, the drawing of the tender appears to me to be longer than the one in the photograph. The height seems consistent.

-Cody F.

Tired.

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
The 55S66 tender is the smallest the Pennsy had, so I guess it may be perspective. The Minitrix slope back is almost dead one, being only a few inches off in dimension, which is nothing in N Scale.
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
I don't have any measuring equipment aside from a ruler than can give real measurements so I couldn't tell you what the spectrum tender measures out to be. For me it is basically the only option since I'm out of money and literally will not have any more coming in' plus it is preprinted and lettered Already so it means that at least the engine's tender will look good. I had a cheapie beginner's airbrush but the air no longer brushes... Just makes wind, yet the paint line is completely clear. Plus, I have never done decal work before.

-Cody F.
Tired.

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »

Weird, when I looked, under quantity it said "0" whch I assumed meant that they were out of them.

As for the diagram, the drawing of the tender appears to me to be longer than the one in the photograph. The height seems consistent.

-Cody F.

I hope I didn't buy the last one! I just checked and I never even noticed the quantity. They all say 0. Maybe they don't update the catalog?

I have drawings of an A5 but only the locomotive. I also found a Model Railroader article on the A4. It has history, photos, Harold Giessel's scale drawings of the locomotive and tender with a complete roster. I can loan you my copy.

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »
I don't have any measuring equipment aside from a ruler than can give real measurements so I couldn't tell you what the spectrum tender measures out to be. For me it is basically the only option since I'm out of money and literally will not have any more coming in' plus it is preprinted and lettered Already so it means that at least the engine's tender will look good. I had a cheapie beginner's airbrush but the air no longer brushes... Just makes wind, yet the paint line is completely clear. Plus, I have never done decal work before.
-Cody F.

I have scale rulers to spare if you need one. You can get a printable scale rule at http://www.printmini.com/printables/rulers/

As for the airbrush I almost never use one. Most model paints can be brush painted right out of the bottle with no brush marks. I've painted with a brush for years. Have a Badger airbrush but it rarely gets used...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »
There are PRR 0-4-0 drawings in the steam loco cylopedia.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »

-Cody F.

I hope I didn't buy the last one! I just checked and I never even noticed the quantity. They all say 0. Maybe they don't update the catalog?

I just went to the site.  The "0" under quantity increments when you add one to your cart.  So it's not the inventory count but the cart count.  To make sure the item is available you click on the stock number to bring up the detail page and it says available or not.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:42 AM »

-Cody F.

The Bachmann USRA slope back is considerably smaller than the 55S66. Be patient grass hopper and wait for an opportunity to buy a Minitrix slope back. For now you can work on those semaphores for your GWR N-Trak module... and still give decaling and airbrushing a try. I will admit that I have never done either of those things too, but don't let the intimidation factor get you down. My problem is having all the right parts come together at the right time to get something done. I remember that soldering was scary to me, but then I gave it a shot and I can at least do some soldering basics right. The more I will soldering for my coming layout the better I will get. Find some junkers and practice airbrushing and decaling on those. Good Practice makes perfect!
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »
The Bachmann USRA slope back is considerably smaller than the 55S66. Be patient grass hopper and wait for an opportunity to buy a Minitrix slope back. For now you can work on those semaphores for your GWR N-Trak module... and still give decaling and airbrushing a try. I will admit that I have never done either of those things too, but don't let the intimidation factor get you down. My problem is having all the right parts come together at the right time to get something done. I remember that soldering was scary to me, but then I gave it a shot and I can at least do some soldering basics right. The more I will soldering for my coming layout the better I will get. Find some junkers and practice airbrushing and decaling on those. Good Practice makes perfect!

I no longer have money or an airbrush so the Bachmann tender it is.
I also have no job or other source of income.
I had to up my bid on the Atlas 0-4-0 so I have to see if I have any surplus items in my fleet to sell so that I can buy an L1 cab.
The 0-4-0 will leave me with $2 to my name.
 :|

Finding and buying the Bachmann tender for $10 at Bedford is what got this project back to the forefront of my mind.

In the diagram the tender looks longer than the engine itself

In the photo it looks to be a bit shorter than the engine, so going by eye, the Bachmann tender would work.

-Cody F.
Tired.